SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noinwi

Suggestions for a difficult area(lengthy)

noinwi
13 years ago

I don't have a lot of perennials as I live in an apartment, but I have a couple of areas where I can plant, one on the west side of the building and one on the east side. Trouble is, the areas are right up against the(two story)building and the eaves are quite shallow. When we get rain, it is usually in the form of a storm, so these areas get a beating. I've been using annuals in containers, but the plants get hammered by the sheets of water coming off of the roof(the only gutters are over the doorways). Some bounce back just in time for the next storm, others don't make it(unless I run out and move them before the storm). I would like to plant perennials with at least some flowers, but I don't know what would stand up to several heavy rains throughout the summer. I wouldn't expect the flowers to survive a heavy rain, but I would like at least the foliage to hold up without looking like it's gone through a shredder. I tried non-stop begonias this year, but man, did they look bad after a storm...I thought the foliage would have done better. So far the only plant to withstand the pummeling has been a scented geranium, but it is not hardy here, so I bring it in for the winter and treat it as a houseplant, but I don't have room inside for many and I haven't been able to get it to bloom yet in 3 years. I may be asking for too much, but any suggestions for perennials with stout foliage(with at least a little bloom)are greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County