SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

More about rules & matchy-matchy

User
13 years ago

You've all seen the discussions on the HD forum. I've said before that I like things that match. I think I finally figured out why, and wondered if the same thing might be the reason some people love the layered & cluttered look, and some like the decluttered & matching look.

I spent some time with a neighbor & her son this weekend. The son is ADHD. Being around him reminded me how much I was like him at that age, and in a lot of ways, still am. I have always been hyper & disorganized. I've worked on coping skills since I was in grade school (because ADHD wasn't diagnosed then & I was just called a problem student) and I taught myself how to concentrate on one thing at a time. I don't multi-task well and because I'm naturally disorganized, I fight clutter constantly.

I grew up in a cluttered house and always thought I liked matching stuff because the mismatched stuff makes me think of being poor. And it does. But also, matching things are ordered and calming. Rooms without real clutter, but with lots of decoration make me irritable. Even though I think they are pretty, I could never live there. After a weekend at my mother's house, I am snapping at everyone and have to get out of there.

Anyway, I was just curious now if other people like certain ways of decorating because their personality is either calm or hyper, or something else.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio