SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scanmike_gw

How to Paint an Open Concept space

scanmike
10 years ago

My daughter (new mom of 1 week) just bought a small condo...very open concept. She wants to paint and find there are no clear stop lines. The living room flows into the kitchen and hall and stairway leads up to an open loft bedroom. She isn't the type to paint everything one color but this is difficult because if she paints the bedroom a different color she looks out of the bedroom opening onto a wall. Would that look weird? They tend to like greys and that is what the bedroom was going to be but now this problem of what to paint the stairway wall. I was thinking of Revere Pewter, but other suggestions are welcome and possibly colors that blend well and create a good flow and feeling of more space. They have an exposed brick wall in the living room and the ceilings slant upwards towards the loft like bedroom. It's more of a bedroom than loft. It has two large rectangular cutouts in the sheetrock that allow the sunlight in from the two windows on the stairway that are directly opposite. To try to explain... If you closed up those cutouts to make it an enclosed bedroom, you lose the sunlight. She originally was going to use something like Powell Beige or Monroe Bisque downstairs, but this bedroom open to stairway wall is now posing a problem. Pictures would be more helpful and I will try to have them post them here. I have been looking at BM Thunder, Pashmina and of course Revere Pewter for the main downstairs living space, because of this dilema. Any suggestions? The kitchen is small and with tall 42 inch cabinets, there won't be need for much paint there. I think they are leaning to white or cream cabinets. They have a large triple sized window in the living room, one in the babies room and those two windows upstairs in the loft area that their bedroom looks out onto.
Thanks,
Denise

Comments (6)