SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjr220

Opinions needed: wood or paint for back of hutch

rjr220
13 years ago

The top of the hutch was installed yesterday after the countertop was installed.

I had asked that it have a wood back, but the cabinet maker put no back on it. I asked, he said no problem, he'll make a back.

However, I now have a couple concerns about going all wood.

1. If I go all wood, will I end up with a "wall o' wood"?

It's immediately adjacent to the pantry and frig

2. The next observation/concer: I put in some arched toe kicks to break up all the square angles and lines in the kitchen -- including one below the sink, and an arch the base of the hutch, and the top of the hutch. They aren't very noticeable at the toekicks -- and I'm wondering if putting the wood back in will again fade the curve that I desired. Here are a couple pictures: one with the "old" red pepper paint showing thru -- the other with a large porcelain tile in the back.

So opinions, please. Matching wood? Paint? Backsplash tile? (details of last 2 options yet to be determined). I am thinking of using the same color of burgandy in the floor to paint the back of the counter height chairs -- what if I carried that color to the back of the hutch (we're leaning towards a gray wall color).

TIA

Comments (12)