SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Would you buy a house with a new kitchen that

palimpsest
12 years ago

You Hate?

Or at least dislike enough to know it would be gone in a year or two?

Doesn't that seem wasteful even if you carefully remove it and sell it off?

There is a large inventory of houses available in my target area. (An ever shifting inventory, as mine is one of those sitting on the market--just passed 9 months).

There are houses with kitchens I like at the very top of my range and really out of my comfort zone.

There are houses with old worn out kitchens that are well within my price range, and these are the houses that are selling...not "move in ready"-s. So they come and go fast.

There're a Lot of houses still in my price range that have kitchens that're new (5 yrs or less) or worse--put in to sell. Esthetics--yuck: lets just say the "ubiquitous" white kitchen that everyone talks about is not the popular thing around here in my price range. Function--eh: I am adaptable but there are some things I just don't like. Appliances: cheap --not necessarily a snob, but the Stainless "look" with the black sides hanging out? Rather have white. rather have pink, actually. Workmanship: poor to middling. This is my biggest bugaboo: lipped tiles, inconsistent grout, visible seams, caulk as a cure all, :(:(:(

But part of me just can't wholesale remove a new kitchen or bath. I looked at a house where I said I would have to close that bathroom door and use the one downstairs because I couldnt start my day looking at that brand new mess. I would actually be embarrassed byt the way some of these rooms look lest something think I actually *liked* it. I am that much of a snob, yes.

What would you do if location and price were right?

I could say that I would live with it but I know one day I would just start taking it apart.

Comments (27)