SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

Discipline

imamommy
16 years ago

I stood in line today at Target. The mother in front of me has a child about 1 1/2-2 yrs. old. The mom is putting her items on the counter for the cashier and the child starts a whine/cry. Mom reaches over and grabs a toy she put up to be scanned and tries to give it to the child so he won't start crying. Now he doesn't want it so she puts it back for the cashier to bag it. She tells the cashier 'I guess he doesn't want it.'. Who's in control? This little child that is learning to get his way by a whimper or whine. But so many parents are guilty of it. I see it every time I'm in a store.

Kids are learning from the minute they are born, some even say before they are born. They learn to behave from every interaction and even though it's not really possible to spoil a baby with too much attention, children learn how to get what they need and want by the reactions we give them. I read in a post a while back, a mother that said she took her kids to the store at age 5 or 6 for the first time and they morphed into kids she didn't recognize, running around and misbehaving. That didn't surprise me since they were obviously not taught how to behave in that situation, even though they were well behaved in other situations.

So, the discussion here is about thoughts or ideas on the different methods of discipline and how old a child should be. Do you think it makes a difference whether it's boys or girls, only children or several and what other factors affect the decision to use a certain method?

Comments (19)