SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanguardgator

Help me overhaul the green monster

vanguardgator
15 years ago

Hi. I am in great need of suggestions and advice for giving a major exterior facelift to this green house I am buying. ItÂs hard to tell from the pictures, but even the roof is green along with the green exterior, green walkway, green drivewayÂ.itÂs green overload. The house was built in 1947 (concrete block) and sits in a very traditional neighborhood where the majority of houses are red brick bungalows. This home definitely does not have the current character in keeping with the rest of the neighborhood.

Since the roof is actually newer, I did not want to re-roof just to get a more attractive shingle color, but have learned about a product from a local paint store called Hydro Stop, which is a roof paint that apparently can withstand the elements. My initial thought was to paint the exterior a tan color, paint the roof black, paint the front door red, paint the shutters black and then use a cream color for the trim. I am at a loss for what to do about the green front porch, sidewalk and driveway.

Right now the house looks disjointed because there is a second story addition over the 2 car garage (with a large 2 car carport in front of the garage). I was thinking that painting all the exterior one color and adding the black shutters to all windows (including the windows on the 2nd story) would help make it more unified. (If this seems like a bad ideaÂplease let me knowÂyou will not hurt my feelings). Or if anyone has any photoshop vision for this house??

We were also thinking the wrought iron on the front porch looked a little dated and perhaps having a carpenter add columns in the same color white/cream trim used around windows, etc. may help update the home a little. There are also some obvious landscape issues too, but I guess I would need to post those in a garden forum.

Absolutely any help, guidance, ideas at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for sharing any comments (good or bad) to help me with this green monster.

Comments (20)