SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cricket6670

A Room Without a Purpose

cricket6670
17 years ago

My wife and I are about to begin some renovations around our home, and are seeking some input.

We plan on remodeling the kitchen, which is quite small (9x9, with a walkway that makes it more like 9x6). A before picture can be seen below. We intend to cut a pass-thru opening in the wall above the stove (I think we will install a slide-in range).

On the other side of this pass-thru is a sunroom addition to the house. It has two 102" windows and a nice view over our 1/2 acre lawn. We would like to convert this sunroom into a new dining room with a breakfast bar facing through the pass-thru and into the kitchen.

The major reason for this is that our house is long and narrow, with two large header beams and a small wall dividing the space in two, right down the middle. Our current dining area is located immediately across from the small kitchen, which is nice, but it has one major problem... our only bathroom is only a few feet away, with a door that opens into the dining space. I find it very unappealing to eat or host dinner with the dining table located so close to the bathroom. Also, the stairwell to the second story is located in this room.

So here comes the major question... what should we do with this space after we convert the sunroom into the dining area? I'm thinking of putting a kitchen island in that space, but I think it would look weird because the space is visually separated from the kitchen by the header beam.

We may also be interested in moving our computer desk into that area, or maybe just making it a sitting room. Regardless, everything sounds less appealing when I think about the proximity of the bathroom.

My wife and I would appreciate any suggestions concerning this problem.

This is a picture of the current dining area. You can see the bathroom door and two header beams. The door to the stairwell is unseen on the left side.

{{!gwi}}

This is a picture of the small kitchen space. We don't even really have enough space to install a dishwasher. :(

Here is a photo of the sunroom/proposed dining room.

Lastly, this is a cheesy drawing I made of the proposed set-up after the remodel.

What do we do with this room without a purpose?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH