SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spitfire_01

Need help with these corners - library/study

spitfire_01
14 years ago

We recently converted the formal living room in our 1979 Colonial to a home office/library. We installed a wall of built-in cabinets, added a desk, credenza, and two leather chairs. I realize that it is a far cry from "done", but I need help specifically with the corners behind the chairs.

I think the room needs something tall behind the chairs. My first choice is a tall plant. While I would love to have *real* plants, I think I'll have to use fakes. This room faces east. Most of the low-light plants that I have researched don't have the shape that I desire. (And ... DH thinks I do not need any more living things to tend to!)

What do you think? Can you think of something else that would look better in those corners? If you agree with (fake) plants, do you have a good retail source? I looked in Michael's recently but wasn't impressed. I have bought some faux plants there before, but they seem to have mostly faux bamboo right now. I don't want to spend my children's college tuition, but I want something that looks decent.

I look at my photos, and my house seems so ... plain. I like simple, neat, and clean, but does it have to be plain??? After studying and studying photos from here and other places, I think my greatest weakness is layering. I seem to be layering impaired. Full length drapes would have helped tremendously in this room, but I couldn't use them b/c the built-in cabinets extend to the edge of one window.

Here are some photos of the corners in question.

FYI ... the wall on the right of the double doors is 2-3 inches longer than the wall on the left (near the window). It took me months to figure out why the chair angles never looked the same.

Corner on left side (shorter wall):

Corner on right side:

Entire wall:

Entire window wall (so you can see why I didn't use full length drapes):

One more thing ... I don't mind suggestions about the angles of the chairs and placement of the lamps and tables. I'm still not 100% sure that I'm happy with their setup. (Now, if your only suggestion is to scrape the popcorn ceiling, please keep that one to yourself!)

Thanks,

Nin

Comments (17)