SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carpecattus

Pondering "big" vs. "small"......

carpecattus
11 years ago

The recent post asking what do we consider big has me rethinking our plans for our new home which we hope to build in a year or two. Our current home, which we've lived in for over 20 years, is around 1350 square feet - three bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, small cozy rooms that we love. Cheap to heat and maintain, easy to clean, and a built in excuse for not hosting big family holiday gatherings - just too small! ;-) (Just hubby, myself and our cats - I work at home so one of the bedrooms is my office.)

Our new home will be our forever home, so we're planning for creaky old age. Our initial plans have been for a one and a half story home - the first floor will be designed as if it was a rambler with a master suite, around 1500 square feet, and the upstairs will be a master suite and a home office, roughly another 500 to 700 square feet. (The idea is enjoy the upstairs master while we're young and move downstairs when we're old. We have a wonderful water view, and hubby really has his heart set on an upstairs master suite with a balcony to enjoy the view.)

We are envisioning a small cottage style home, with the same cozy rooms we currently enjoy, but hubby and I both come from large families and hubby would love to host large family gatherings. We are also planning for the possibility we might end up having one or two of our parents move in with us if they end up needing care.

I'm hoping to keep this home at 2000 square feet, but I have a growing sense of panic that even 2000 square feet is going to feel too big. If we keep most of the rooms small, will this help keep our home from feeling too big? I am anticipating our largest room will be the living room, at around 12 x 15, which sounds huge to me, but it will have a fire place and lots of built in bookcases which hopefully should make it more cozy. Would love any advice, and would love to have folks share their experiences. Has anyone lived in a 2000 square foot home that felt cozy, and if so, what made it so? (Other than 10 kids, 5 dogs, 3 cats and a parakeet! :-)

Comments (15)