SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Need to brighten dark room

jockewing
15 years ago

I have a large living/room kitchen. The living room has a tray ceiling and the combined room is fairly large. The problem is that the only overhead lighting in the living room area is a 4 light ceiling fan fixture, and without many windows, the room always feels "hot" and looks "dingy". I get this feeling in lots of smaller houses without a lot of natural light. It's hard to explain. Even though I don't smoke, the room always reminds of a smoky barroom. I know the ultimate solution would be to add more lighting, but I don't feel like turning on 4 lamps all the time, and I can't afford to put in some recessed lighting, which is what I really want, with the cleaner halogen lighting.

Right now the room has a warm beige. Do you think painting a cooler color would change the ambience in the room? I thought maybe a nice medium grayed blue would be good. The thing is, its a chore to paint a large room, so I want it to last a while. Any suggestions on colors that would make the room seem brighter, airier, and crisper? Any other tricks to bring such a feeling into a room with dull lighting? Maybe adding those cool spectrum lightbulbs?

By the way, the room has beige ceramic tile and white trim. I have a rug with a garnet-colored background and the drapes are a medium sagey-green. I like the feeling light blue imparts, but thought that might get old fast and worried about blue walls with green drapes. Don't want white or off white.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville