SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Finished kitchen! (help me paint for resale)

Fori
12 years ago

I am not a house flipper. That means this kitchen has weird stuff because we built it for US. But we found a better house so we have moved out and need to paint this a tasteful (hah!) color. We have been told it is a bit "personal".

So, here it is. It isn't clean. GWers have been very helpful and are in part responsible for me getting a weird kitchen! (Just kidding, kind of--it functions perfectly for us!) So thank you all and I hope you're as good with my new, way worse kitchen!

>

These pictures are pretty bad, but represent the wall color well enough.

Info--keep in mind the suppliers had nothing to do with the design and tastefulness of the kitchen so don't hold it against them.

Design: y'all, everybody, nobody, me, spouse, Mom, the cat, etc. with tweaks by cabinet guy

Metal counters: The Industrialists, San Francisco. (Doh! I promised to send him a photo of the finished job, like almost 2 years ago...)

Cabinets: Brent's Custom Cabinets, Fremont, CA, painted KM "Swiss Coffee". Those Swiss don't get much caffeine.

Stone: "Bardiglio" marble, fabricated by Braccho Granite (Newark)(fast and did a nice job)

Knobs and light fixtures: Rejuvenation

Pulls: Restoration Hardware

Floor: Marmoleum in "Eternity"

Cooktop: Windcrest induction

Hood: GE Monogram

DW: Fisher & Paykel

Oven/microwave: bottom of the line GE that came with the house. I will miss you the most of all, cheap oven with the perfect baking!

Hansgrohe faucet, Tapmaster, Insinkerator instant hot/filtered cold with handy dandy repair instructions on Amazon reviews (not joking).

Comments (30)

• harrimann
    12 years ago

That looks like the same color I painted my kitchen. (And KM Swiss Coffee is the trim color I use throughout my house - spooky.)

Is there something wrong with the colors? I don't think so. They seem neutral enough to me. Maybe you need a real estate agent with better taste!

• wolfgang80
    12 years ago

I'd go with a light grey, something that is clearly lighter than the floor. I like your kitchen.

Do you have crown in the rest of your house? I notice you have it trimming the tops of the cabinets but not the adjacent walls.

• Related Discussions

Help Me Finish Small Kitchen - Backsplash, etc.

Q

Comments (20)
    Remodlelfla, I have now cut and pasted that backsplash twice! I think I need to have it. I looked all around the Interstyle site and I can't find that pic. Do you know anything more about that pattern....like is it available on mesh or is it a combo of loose tiles? Nice kitchen, winkwink! Here's mine... I think you have many options thanks to your relatively calm counter top choice. I used something busier (Icestone in Sage Pearl) and I am struggling with how busy I can go with the backsplash...I feel like I can't. Have you looked at Oceanside Glasstile? They have some really gorgeous blends in the 1x1 and 5/8x5/8 sizes. I think either would work for you. I would do a blend of white-ish and whatever color you like....blue or green or amber maybe to play nice with the floor tile. I used Beach Blonde in my last kitchen and it just made my heart sing. (Sorry....I really did love it!) I am kind of afraid to get too busy again....think I need all one color probably. Anyway, here's a pic of the OGT Beach Blonde: Part of my problem is that there are very few tile stores where I live now. How 'bout you? Here is a link that might be useful: OGT....yummy mixes!
    ...See More

Help me with kitchen hardware finish

Q

Comments (4)
    Check out jgarner's kitchen from this link. She used black glass knobs and her kitchen sounds similar to yours in cabinets and era. I really like what she did. With black hinges it might be too much black for you though. Nickel would look great. I used clear glass in my kitchen remodel (1913 bungalow). Lots of colors for glass too, including some old greens. Just some ideas. HTH. Here is a link that might be useful: jgarner's kitchen
    ...See More

Help me finish my kitchen, please? (pics)

Q

Comments (16)
    Thank you all so much again for great the advice. The rush on the decision is because the contractor wants to do granite, backsplash and hardware next week. It does irritate me somewhat that I have asked for weeks about a time to go pick granite and tile. He is providing an allowance for granite and tile if we use his choice of fabricators, which is a good one, so I am not too concerned about that. It's just the hurry up and wait then hurry up again stuff that bugs me. For those of you who like the arches, the arch details are one of the main reasons we bought this house. They are thru out the main floor. Here is a picture of my family room that is open to the kitchen thru the archway you see covered by plastic in my previous pictures. Please excuse the excess clutter and the old fridge behind the sofa. (husband says he thinks he kinda likes it there now)
    ...See More

Help me finish my kitchen (dual post in decorating)

Q

Comments (5)
    I am HORRIBLE with colors. I didn't used to think I was, but having just bought two gallons of paint that I'm pretty sure I won't use in my kitchen, I don't feel qualified to give that advice. My thought would be, if you want to bring in color, find barstools and a rug that you like together that MAY work with the paint, and if they don't, then re-paint. :) Can I ask an off-topic question? Your kitchen looks very comfortable and inviting. Do you know the dimensions of your kitchen, aisles, island, and overhangs? Today starts cabinet install and it looks like your kitchen might be roughly the same size. I'm sure we won't get to island placement/overhang size, but we should get there Mon or so. Maybe today! :) I had worked out where the island would be and how long of a potential overhang (mine will just be at one end) but working with an existing lighting/junction box may have me push it a few inches this way and that. Would you repeat yours as is? Buy your accessories at some place with a generous return policy and play away! Also think about draping various colors of clothing on your barstool to test them. :)
    ...See More
  • northcarolina
    12 years ago

Love it! I wouldn't touch it. But then I may not be your average home buyer.

To please the most people, I'd say either light gray or a neutralish tan or cream-yellow, depending on the paint in the rest of the house and also depending on how the warmer colors would look with your marble (I can't tell for sure from the photos if they would clash).

• aliris19
    12 years ago

I love the fridge-corner cabinets; clever!

I can see why it was thought the color was a little, um, personal. Dunn Edwards has a line of paints they call "Classic" because, I guess, they work well (I've heard other theories about this name, that it references classic situations, that the colors are old; dunno. But *I* find they're just really mind-easing good). I think DE is on the west coast; it sounds as if you are too. I imagine all the paint companies do the same though. Point is, selecting from this series is easy as the numbers of choices are very limited. The colors I like best are the ones that they had pre-selected this way. I'd spent hours agonizing and money testing, just to find my favorite was part of this series all along. Lessons learned the hard way.

Taking this lesson to heart I selected a bedroom's color this way when I was dithering between a fancy slightly-different color and one of these. I didn't immediately love it, but I have grown to completely, deeply adore this color. There is something about this series that just settles deep.

I'm no realtor, but I'd guess if you just pick any old random classic color you'd be in good shape. The idea is just to appeal to the broadest group. Yellow is a happy, classic kitchen-type color; that's what I'd suggest. But I'm not representative of house buyers!!

• harrimann
    12 years ago

Though I like the green, I'll second the suggestion of yellow because you'll get the trendy yellow+gray color combo that way.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I think it's neutral enough. some RE agents go to extremes.

if you feel you have to repaint maybe a very light grey would work.

• Fori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jilly, I picked the paint color because the POs had used it as trim everywhere and I liked it just fine.

I don't have crown elsewhere and I wanted something very light or none at all but I lost that fight.

Grey might be nice, but it might also turn everything dismal--I didn't mean to end up with everything grey but somehow I did.

Yellow I can get behind. It's my other color of choice. (The last kitchen I tried to sell, my Realtor told me to paint the yellow! It was sort of a cross between bicycle and daffodil so I probably should have...)

The rest of the house is a tannish brownish thanks to the PO. Tasteful, dull, entirely acceptable. I'll have to see if it'll work.

The ceiling is blue. Maybe I could do the walls the same?

Thanks for the suggestions! This should be fun! (nooooooo)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Is there a cream in the counter/backsplash? Maybe you can match it. Since it all goes so well together, I would assume pulling out one of those colors would work on the walls too. I know...beige....but what do those experts remind us...you aren't choosing it for you, but you want a buyer to love it and think that there is nothing to do when they move in.

Too bad about the green. They say "your" kitchen is taste specific? Uh oh. I'm screwed.

• artemis78
    12 years ago

Ha, you literally have the same combos we just put into our new kitchen (though our walls may be a little lime-ier---we used BM Wales Green with Eternity marmo floors). The one thing I will say about our kitchen is that it turned out gray-er than we expected overall---the green and the gray sort of blend into a muted fuzzy gray feeling for the space, and I can see that not appealing to everyone (it doesn't always appeal to us, even---DH thinks we should have gotten brave and gone for a shade darker!) So if you want to make it pop a little more, I think yellow is a great suggestion; we almost switched to yellow several times but I was hung up on green for some reason.

• Fori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't wait to hear what they say about the 'Hefty Kat' cat flap. We used it to see if there was a kid in front of the door when coming in from the garage.

Not sure how I ended up with a monochromatic kitchen. I guess it's better than the clown puke Marmoleum I wanted. They don't seem to carry it anymore...I really liked the orange/blue Marm. Makes me want to gut my current kitchen ASAP!

Here is a link that might be useful: How I picked my floor.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I have a thing for revere pewter.

But I would look up the colors BM does for Pottery Barn? ANd pick one from there. Those guys know the market, and I think it is the same market you might sell to.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Hmm,, I fell in love with this blue when I went to look at the colors. Look how nice baskets (dirt cheap) look against blue!

I also forgot to ask you what colors adjacent rooms/halls are. If they are also adventuresome, doubly important to go neutral here

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn colors

• Fori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll look into blues as well.

The neighboring rooms are all neutral--I didn't get my hands on them yet so they are still in the PO's tan-for-sale color. Realtor probably wants me to change them but I think I will balk. Looks better in real life.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I would leave it.

I hope you are taking and reusing the Rejuvenation fixtures and putting in their cheap cousins.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Fori, the color on my monitor is a sort of light spring green...kinda the green color you see baby clothes in. Is that right?

It's nice, but yes, a bit off the beaten track. For what it's worth, I would NOT paint it cream, light gray, beige or any other really bland color. I'd go for a rich pewter grey, as mtnrdredux suggests to emphasize modern sophistication or again, as she suggests look at the Pottery Barn latest BM colors. I like the idea of something like Buxton Blue, Azores (my fav), Canvas or Coastal Path...or a lighter version of them. Perhaps Silver Sage or White Rain (two of my favorite BM greens).

My reasoning: Paint is cheap and even the most-dull witted buyers know that or retailers tell them. So...

Those who ONLY like white/cream/bland walls will realize they can easily paint it and one of the above mentioned colors will look trendy enough to not look "odd" to their eyes.

Those who lack imagination, will be glad to see a color that they couldn't envision, but like.

And those who have imagination and like color, will know it's only a paintbrush away.

FWIW

• plllog
    12 years ago

I think the blue that's on the ceiling would look great on the walls as well. It's very fresh, will make the white cabinets pop, look good with the grays, and save you some bother. :) While a pale gray would go great with the marble veining and floor, I think it might show (as in when it's shown to buyers) a bit dreary. The pale blue is one of those "fresh", "sunny" colors, and better, I think, for selling.

I love your green, but I think it might be too taste specific even though it's also fresh. The tans can stay. Looks good (and neutral) with the wood. :)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I forgot to add that I have a black stairwell and hallway in the apartment (covered with Keane prints no less) and One person out of the many who have looked had something negative to say about "not getting" the interior.

We have staged it "zero" but it is always kept super clean and ready to look at. No realtor has every suggested neutralizing a thing. In fact, a couple have said they Love showing it. (Its the condo fees that are the issue.)

• Fori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, spring green, baby green, CELERY green was what I was targeting.

I really do appreciate all these suggestions. I thought I was doomed to taupe. There's even too many choices! For example, it didn't occur to me to do something rich and intense ("sophisticated" never comes naturally to me).

As far as the fixtures go, I was a little disappointed that the Realtor said they were perfect. I think I want them. Nobody really likes them. Just me. I might yank them. On the other hand I don't NEED to be that frugal. And the "new" house sort of calls for a brass finish.

For the record, I am not really a fan of staging and prefer an empty house (as a buyer) but from what I've seen, these stagers do a good job and--this is the important bit--will use enough area rugs so that I don't have to refinish the floors. The expense is about the same.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Can you find a poster or framed piece or nicknack or whatever that indicates that the end of the countertop is for baking? Or lay out a rolling pin during open house? Most people won't get it at first so you gotta tell them gently. In your "literature" be sure to boast "baking center" so they don't miss it. Somebody's gonna swoon.

• Fori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You betcha Flo--because otherwise it's just for embalming corpses (I think it looks bad all naked). Especially with the small oven.

If these so-called "staging experts" don't take care of it, I'm dragging my big ol' stand mixer back.

And I'm assured there will be a blurb espousing the glory of induction cooking.

• mcraney
    12 years ago

I agree with Plllog, the blue you used on your ceiling would look great on your kitchen walls. Plus you already know how the color will look in the kitchen.

I love the green and personally don't think it needs to be changed. If I were looking at your house, I would think "I'm glad the realtor didn't convince them to paint the kitchen boring blah brown."

I might wait to hear what the first potential buyers have to say about the kitchen before I painted.

And definitely play up your wonderful baking center with your stand mixer and other accessories. I would bake chocolate chip cookies in the oven just prior to the showing and have them on a tray for visitors to munch on. Use the Pillsbury ones that are sliced and ready to bake, they make enough cookies for an afternoon of visitors. It is hard not to smile in a kitchen that smells like chocolate chip cookies.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

• kaismom
    12 years ago

I used to have an intense cobalt accent walls. I always knew that it was one of those colors that either people loved (I loved it) or people were thinking "what did you do that for?" but did not say it. Unfortuntately, this green is one of those colors; either you love it or you say eek (as I see it.)

If you are painting to sell, I would not do a strong color. Just do a neutral that is trendy. Mushroom, grey, taupe are all neutral trendy colors. Many people like trendy colors not necessarily because they are good colors but because they see it all the time and they are familiar with the color. If they see the color with beautiful decor, they associate the color with good taste, good decor etc. There is a huge component of "lemming" mentality in how we feel about color. Otherwise, you can't explain the popularity of these awful colors in the decades past.

I just looked at a house today with black trim and dark midnight type of blue accent wall. It was an "eek" color! The house was not right for us other reasons. I am one of those people that can look beyond the decor and don't care about the color because it is easy to paint over. However, may buyers are not like that.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I LOVE gray, but I think more in this case might be too much.

So this is the explanation...I was confused by your other post about ripping out and re-doing your 'new' kitchen. At first I thought you meant something had gone wrong, like water damage, or some other problem, and you had to start over... But the pics weren't at all what I expected from the plans you'd had. ;-)

• harrimann
    12 years ago

I have an OT question. I assume that the area with the marble countertop is the "baking center". Why is the counter height lower? (Until the baking center was mentioned, I assumed that was a desk area and wondered why the knee space was all the way against the wall instead of between two drawer units.) I've been congratulating myself for having put together my very own baking center long before I found GW, and now I might discover that my counter height is all wrong!

• Fori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. So not only am I unable to decide, I'm confusing others! Woot Win!

The staging "expert" suggested Kelly Moore "Tropical Straw" for the entire house, I assume including the kitchen. It's so close to the color of the rest of the house I'm going to stick with the tan already in the rest of the house under the principle that it's easier to cover up the same color than something new. Light tannish.

Anyway I'll take all these great suggestions and some swatches and see how they go.

MCMJilly, the baking center. It's traditional but not required to have a little marble area to roll out dough that is more table height because then you can really lean over and get into your work. Short people especially appreciate this feature. Tall people probably think it's silly. I used it as an excuse to put cabinets in front of a low window instead of replacing the window and changing the exterior of the house. The kneehole is because the spouse really wanted it.

• harrimann
    12 years ago

Ah. So, I guess I'm in the "tall people" camp. You're lucky your low window is high enough to allow a countertop. Mine was even lower, so I had to get a new window.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I thought about a dove grey, but I share the concern that it could seem dreary. Now, if it is going to be staged, you might be able to overcome that. The yellow and grey could look good too, but will require repainting the ceiling and probably some good staging to pull it off. And it's trendy, not necessarily that wide appeal you want.

That led me to thinking a pewter to steel grey, but that was before you pointed out that the ceiling is blue. I think you can use that same blue and everything will feel clean and fresh and that's probably the easiest since you have the color and don't have to coordinate with the ceiling or repaint that too. Some folks are not blue people, but it won't be so strong to scare them away and the rest of the house is neutral (I'd leave the beige). The staging can add some yellow and green to make it feel cool, fresh and summery.

Probably a good idea to stage the baking area. You don't have to haul the mixer -- some smaller things will work. A baking cookbook lying open, the rolling pin and a rolling mat, maybe a couple of cookie cutters and a cookie sheet. If you have an open house, bake some cookies in the oven so the house smells good and have them out on a plate or in a cookie jar.

Or another keep it simple idea -- paint the ceiling white or the same green you have on the walls. I don't think it is either color the realtor is probably concerned about as much as the multiple colors. And even the dual color approach could work with the right staging -- it just raises questions about what to do with it with the kitchen vacant.

Keep it simple. You've got at least a 50/50 chance the buyer is gong to change whatever you do. You can't pick everyone's favorite color, so you you just want something most people won't see as a barrier.

• Fori
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the buyer will gut it and make it bigger, but that's just a hunch. Some people think when you buy a house in this price range (location location location) you deserve a big kitchen. :)

I don't think the multiple colors scared the agent--the ceiling is so light nobody notices it's blue until you point out it's not the same color as the cabinets. It's much more tasteful (or at least less in-your-face) than the green.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I'm not a green person, but we painted our last kitchen green for resale -- in the days of sage green everywhere, wit white cabinets and folks loved it. I had a white tile backsplash though -- no grey.

Looking back at this today, I'm thinking the shade of green is nice, but not quite right with the grey -- I'd go the blue and call it a day. If you go to a yellow, you would have to paint hte ceiling too and that;s a pain. And the yellow that goes with the grey might not work well withthe adjoining rooms in beige. Keep it simple.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Do not waste your time or money on paint for your kitchen. It is a mellow color and is in good condition. A buyer can change the color but just may like it. I'd change it if it were a strong overpowering color, but that is soft and cheery.
    If you have an urge to paint, do it elsewhere. Your kitchen as a whole is a selling feature and not a problem!
    I would put out a few kitchen accessories so that it does not look quite so bare. Even a single dish towel could warm it up.

(r.e. agent over 21 years)