SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Vintage sofa and loveseat -- wwyd?

UPDATE:

This is the loveseat, the sofa is upright behind it. Not sure I have all the right cushions in place, but gives an idea of condition. I think it's so much more comfortable than our current sofa. The velour is definitely discolored in places, but I'm going to vacuum it and clean as best I can. It's not perfect, but I don't think it's horrible.

DH thinks the low back is weird, he said he can't lean back and be comfortable or relax because the back is low. Is that an issue people have with this style?

The brand tag says "Stratford Designs"

Original post ============.

Yesterday my husband and I picked up my grandma's sofa and loveseat. I had very fond memories of when they were in her old house, but they have spent the last 20+ years in her husband's home and he was a hoarder. Anyway, they are not as nice as I remembered but we brought them home, anyway, as it made grandma happy to know they might be used. They are still quite firm and have retained their shape because the home has been unused most of the time, but they are not clean. She bought them in the late 70s as far as I know.

Today I took a closer look at the cushions. Originally they were slate blue, and now they seem to be discolored, gray, stained. The fabric is velour, and the things I've been reading online about cleaning vintage velour make it sound like it's NOT an easy-clean fabric. My uncle suggested using dry carpet cleaner to clean them, which I will try but need to buy it first ;-)

If that doesn't take away all the stains (and I have a feeling it won't), what next? Would you try to clean the velour? My DH isn't exactly thrilled to have these, we already have a couch. Our couch is about 9 years old and has gotten super squishy/saggy. I don't love it, but at least it's clean and the microfiber fabric is easy to maintain (two kids, 5 and 9). I was hoping to get rid of our couch and use grandmas, but if that is to happen it will mean I need to get her furniture in nicer shape.

I found this picture online, it's pretty much what they look like only this one seems cleaner.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by melle_sacto on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 13:06

Comments (25)