SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

If your kids are grown & gone

User
13 years ago

What have done with their bedrooms? And how do you accommodate them & their spouses & grandchildren when they come for a long visit?

Our two "kids" rooms are both just under 10x10. When the kids were here, we had a trundle bed, dresser & night table in each room. When we had company, we pulled out both trundles and one of the girls gave up their room for company. Luckily, my in-laws liked twin beds and my mom is single, but with the trundles pulled out, there was no room for anything but furniture in the rooms.

Now that they are gone, I got rid of one trundle and put a full-sized bed in there. It was a set I had as a teenager, a four-poster so it takes up a lot of visual space. I put the dressing table in with that bed, and put the chest in the bedroom with the other trundle.

Now, I'm thinking of that other bedroom. If I put my sewing desk in the there, I would have to move it out to pull out the trundle, and I really prefer sewing in the den where everything is going on. I thought of getting rid of the trundle in there, simply because I don't think the kids are going to appreciate trundles when they are married. lol

The other option is getting rid of the trundle and putting a queen sized bed in there. Then, both "guest rooms" are vacant 350+ days out of the year and that seems wasteful. But I remember when we went home for the holidays the first 10 years we were married and neither parent had a comfortable room for us. We never stayed long even though it was a 7 hour trip each way, because we were either sleeping on the world's saggiest bed, or squished into a room where the bed took up all the space and we had to leave our luggage in the hall.

What other options am I overlooking?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations