SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasminesmom

Wills? Stepmom of grown kids, no kids of own

jasminesmom
17 years ago

I have been a stepmom for 10 years now, in their lives for almost 14. My stepchildren (SD now 25, SS now 21) and I are not the best of friends. Matter of fact recently my SD and I have been at odds over another stupid situation that should have never come up.

My husband and I are at odds over our wills and this last situation between me and my stepdaughter has left me thinking I don't want her to have a dime of 'my' money. He wants to leave his kids money. I don't have kids to leave any money to but I DO have nephews/nieces. Any of you in this situation and how have you handled it?

If I die my 'half' of the estate can be divided amongst my nephews/nieces and if he dies his 'half' can be divided amongst his 2 children. But he shouldn't have to sell the house, etc. I'm looking for suggestions that will make us both happy with our decision and leave his kids/my nephews/niece some money as well as each other. I know an attorney can help us but I'm looking for suggestions before I go and things get heated between us. At this point we're avoiding it and I know that's not a good idea. I'm OK with some money going to his kids but I need some to run the household/pay off house, etc. Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH