SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

attendance at sporting events: the Ex and the Fiancee

annkathryn
17 years ago

Hello everyone,

I've read much wisdom on these forums and so would like to pose a question of my own here. First a little background - I've been divorced over 3 years, have 2 sons who are 14 and 16. I'm engaged to a wonderful man who is respectful of me, my sons, and their relationship with their bio-father. My fiancee is living with us nearly fulltime although he has a house in a state across the country where he goes occasionally. The boys are with me during the week, and with their father every other weekend. Their father also takes them out to eat every Wednesday. My Ex doesn't speak to me (his choice, not mine) although we can communicate via email about logistical things having to do with the boys.

My younger son is involved in nearly every sport imaginable, with my support and that of my Ex. He's currently taking tennis lessons and is on the high school volleyball team. I'm coaching this team. We had a game this evening, attended as usual by my fiancee, my older son who keeps statistics, and by my Ex. My Ex has decided that it makes him too tense to see my fiancee at these sporting events cheering for my younger son, and he's requested that there be a schedule in which one or the other can attend, but not both. In other words, he doesn't want to see my fiancee at any of my sons' activities. This presumably would extend to my older son's events as well. My Ex says he's gotten advice from others who have experience in ex-spousal relations and feels he's right to request this. My fiancee is angry (livid, even) that my Ex would place this restriction on him. My finance wants to attend my son's sports events because a) he loves sports, all sports, and b) he loves my son and wants to encourage him in everything he does and c) he wants to support me as the coach of this team. I support my fiancee and don't feel it is either of our responsibilities to make my Ex's tension disappear. I haven't asked my son yet what his preference is - I don't want to put him in the middle, but I also don't want him wondering why fiancee suddenly stops showing up to his games. I also don't like this idea of setting this precedent - will it extend to tennis? baseball? music events that my older son is in? etc, etc.

Comments? How do other parents split attendance at childrens' events?

Ann

Comments (26)