SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

gap between upper cabinet and wall, is this typical?

flseadog
14 years ago

We are getting close to finishing up on details of our new build. Although our kitchen cabinets were installed about 6 weeks ago I didn't look at them in detail until yesterday when I was cleaning them in anticipation of loading them up. Since I'm a bit OCD I was also wiping the underside of the upper cabinets. On one wall we needed to have a 1" spacer at each end of the cabinet run in order for our full overlay doors to open properly. The light rail runs the full length of the face front of the cabinets so no gap is visible when the cabinets are looked at from the front. However, from underneath a 1" gap exists along each side wall from front to back that is the width of the spacer in that area. It can't be seen unless you are halfway upsidedown as I was when cleaning.

So here's the question: is this typical or should I complain. The cabinet installer has been great and I haven't had one complaint until now so I don't want to get too picky if this is normal. On the other hand I don't like having a 1" gap underneath my upper cabinets. Can anyone give advice on this? Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)