SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurels4u

Successful Disengaging

laurels4u
17 years ago

I've tried very hard to disengage from my DH & his son and although I've done well in certain areas, I'm having a harder time in others. For instance, I've completely quit telling the boy when to shower, when to brush, when to get up in the AM or to go to bed. On the other hand, I'm having a tremendously hard time letting go of the chores issue. I firmly believe children must do chores and when I married his father, didn't sign up as the live-in maid. (I work full-time and am completely dedicated to my job as well as keeping a clean house while cooking family style dinners and sharing family time.) While I was single, my DD helped me with cleaning and cooking and even helped me out at my job site. I've made a chore chart, so why is this boy so persistent in ignoring it? Is it because he knows it irks me? When I remind him of the list, he does his chores half-whacked then runs in to his room, closes the door, and locks it, terrified that I might ask him to do something else.

Also, I have issues with lying. I detest lying, which seems to have been condoned in their prior life since it seems to be escalating at a fairly constant rate with just about everything. In particular, SS constantly lies about homework/schoolwork or conversations with his bio-mom. He always gets caught in the lies and when DH does *nothing* to correct the behavior, it takes everything within me to not lose it. I know my BP must spike at an all-time high when I watch my DH get mad then say, "You better never do that again." I try so hard to bite my lip but I usually end up saying something anyhow.

SS's dad leaves before the boy gets up in the morning. SS has ADHD & knows he's supposed to take his medicine in the AM before we all leave for work & school. More often than not, he doesn't take it (says he forgets be/c he's stayed up so darn late then can't get up until 10 minutes before the bus comes) and I'm the one who's punished for it be/c I'm trying to disengage from unruly behavior while DH is still at work.

I wish I could just disengage from all of this be/c it's DH's job to be the parent; I'm just having a difficult time of it.

Anyhow, has anyone else been successful in disengaging? Let me know what you did to get through it.

Comments (2)