SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovlilynne

Ice and Water in Door, would you do it again?

lovlilynne
14 years ago

I'm taking a poll for those of you who have ice and water in your door - doesn't matter what style of refrigerator you have - can you answer me these questions:

1. What style of refrigerator do you have? (FD, S/S, CD FD, bottom freezer, etc.)

2. Would you get it again - yes or no

3. Why or why not

4. What do you like best about this feature?

5. What do you dislike most about this feature?

Also, just a general question about the ice in the door - can you still dump a big bucket of it out somehow? I assume you can, but I have never had the ice in the door, so I don't know how that works. We use ice in bulk much more than in individual glasses.

TIA,

Lynne

Comments (44)

• idrive65
    14 years ago

1. side by side (Bosch counter depth)
    2. yes
    3. no filling ice-cube trays or wasting electricity opening freezer
    4. see above
    5. sometimes ice escapes to the floor

We can remove the bucket but it's sort of awkward. If I'll need ice for a party, I remove it & dump it into a tupperware a day ahead of time so it has a day to refill. If you use a LOT of ice and have the budget, look into an under counter icemaker.

• pattyk_64
    14 years ago

We just replaced ours, but I'll answer the questions based on our old fridge:

1. What style of refrigerator do you have? (FD, S/S, CD FD, bottom freezer, etc.) KA Side by Side
    2. Would you get it again - No
    3. Why or why not - The icemaker had to be replaced 3 times and the fridge door actually fell off.
    4. What do you like best about this feature? Convenient
    5. What do you dislike most about this feature? Periodic water on the floor, also if you didn't hold your glass really tight up to the dispenser, ice would fly everywhere.

Yes, I could dump the bucket out fairly easily.

We ended up replacing this fridge with a Samsung French door, with the icemaker in the freezer drawer. After doing some research it seemed that there are less icemaker repairs for this style. (not in the door that is) Also since we have filtered water in the house anyways, we weren't feeling the need for filtered water in the fridge anymore. It's a little less convenient getting a glass of icewater, but having less repair issues is important to me.

• Related Discussions

Maytag French Door Fridge w/o Ice/Water in door -Anybody own it?

Q

Comments (2)
    We have a Maytag Performa single door that is now our basement fridge since we remodeled & put in a KA counter depth French Door in the kitchen. Obviously, I don't have the direct experience you are looking for a recent Maytag FD, but I might be able to comment on several of your questions since both are now made by the same American company. Our Maytag is probably 7 years old & may have been manufactured prior to Whirlpool purchasing, thus some of my experience may not apply. The price seems great for a French Door fridge so if you don't need the bells & whistles this might be just the one for you. My experience with French Door is that the closing & sealing is hard to get used to. I do not think it is elegant on any brand. I still check our KA periodically, but I think it is FD, not the Maytag. The next time you are in a showroom open & close several of the FD refrigerators. You may have the same experience with all of them. We did have ice fall to the bottom of the Maytag because of the baskets, but I don't remember it being a problem -- sometimes the ice evaporates or shrinks in size before you know it is there. We fill our freezers quite full & often have small items pop over the baskets/containers. I felt the Maytag was easier to retreive items from under the basket than the KA is. My memory of ice for the Maytag was that the ice container was HUGE giving us more ice than we required. I used some other smaller container & had plenty of ice & more freezer space. I cannot remember it being particularly noisy, but our floorplan is not an open one. One issue I did have is since it wasn't digital (but didn't understand until I got a digital one) is veggies would freeze when we traveled. I ultimately would turn the temp up a few degrees to accomodate for the door not being opened during our absence. In all my refrigerators I have to work with the shelf arrangement to assure air is flowing properly. It seems initially I invariably have air blocked & freeze a few items until I can rearrange the shelves to make sure I'm not concentrating air in any one place. I love it when I can save enough on one applicance to justify (or purchase) another one. I say "go for it!". It sounds like your expecations will be met. Good luck.
    ...See More

How do you make italina ice/water ice?

Q

Comments (6)
    This is as authentic a recipe for the old-school Italian water ice as you'd want to find. For strawberry, just follow the recipe for the peach one and use the berries, although for raspberry or black cherry, it's better with just the strained juice from the fruits. LEMON WATER ICE 1 quart water 2 cups sugar 3/4 cup lemon juice Grated rind of 1 lemon (no white part) Boil water and sugar together for 5 minutes. Cool. Stir in juice and peel. Pour into shallow bowl and put in freezer. As it starts to freeze, keep stirring the outside crystals into the center and mix in peel. Do this about every half hour. When really slushy, stop and freeze overnight. To serve, you must scrape very thin layers of the slush off the top. I use a big spoon with sharp edges moving it sideways. My notes: This won't turn out right unless you do both the stirring thing and the scraping thing. It really is all about the technique, not the ingredients, which is why you won't get the same results in an ice cream freezer, even though we've tried it. Depending on how many you'll be serving and when, you can divide the ingredients in half for a smaller batch because the syrup starts to congeal after about 2 or 3 days. For all of these, follow the same method as the Lemon Ice, boiling water and sugar together, add other ingredients, then freezing as directed: LEMON-LIME WATER ICE (my personal favorite) Make as above but use 1/2 lemon juice and 1/2 lime juice and equal amounts of lemon and lime peel LIME ICE Make as above using lime juice and peel instead of the lemon. FRESH PEACH WATER ICE 1 cup sugar 2 1/2 cups water 1 1/2 cups peeled and sliced ripe peaches 1 1/2 to 2 tsp. lemon juice Puree peaches in blender with lemon juice. ORANGE WATER ICE 2 cups water 1 cup sugar 1 cup fresh orange juice 1 grated orange rind (no white part) 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice GRAPE WATER ICE 2/3 cup sugar 1 1/2 cups water 1 cup grape juice 1/4 cup orange juice 2 Tbs. lemon juice
    ...See More

Do you have an in-door ice/water dispenser in your fridge?

Q

Comments (43)
    We have one and use it ALL the time. I don’t use the water though - it runs too slow for me. Last summer, though, we were having problems with the ice flapper - yes, that’s it’s real name. Apparently it wasn’t closing completely every time we got ice and was letting warm air leak up into the freezer. That caused some ice melting/fusing of cubes. So I finally called the repair guy and he got me a new flapper. Total charges about $110. (And then my electric bill went down cause my freezer had been running excessively! I should have noticed that, but I just didn’t. Duh.) My refrigerator is about 7 years old and it’s a Frigidaire.
    ...See More

Q To Moms: What Would You Do Different If You Were To Build Again

Q

Comments (59)
    Hello @dsnine wow your post was packed with golden nuggets!!! So much good info in there. I actually read it out loud to my hubby last night :) You've got a full plate with six kids and homeschooling. I decided to homeschool my 5 year old, but we're only in kindergarten right now, and I salut you for homeschooling six kiddos. That takes major organizational skills. I'm struggling a bit with our kitchen design. I was planning on putting the extra fridge and freezer into the coldroom in the basement. We're trying to keep the overall squarefootage down, and with the fridge and freezer downstairs, I was nixing a full pantry. Instead, I was planning for pullout pantries along the wall next to the kitchen. Anyways, I'd love learn what you think makes a kitchen functional and flow well (aside from having a pantry). Are there some kitchen design "no nos" that you can share? What enables you work better and more efficiently in your kitchen?
    ...See More
  • holligator
    14 years ago

1. Side by side (Kitchen Aid)
    2. Absolutely!
    3. I love being able to access ice and filtered water without opening a door.
    4. I love crushed ice in my drinks.
    5. Nothing.

Our bucket also removes, but when I need a lot of ice for a party or some other purpose, I usually run around the corner to the convenience store for a bag of ice.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

GE PSW26PSW Side by Side

NO!(meaning the fridge) Yes on the water/ice on door

Icemaker broke within the first 6 months, water on the door isn't cold!

I love that mine has a water amount programmable display so that if I need 1 1/4 cups of water for a recipe I can get exactly that amount and not have to use a measuring cup and it's filtered water. I also like that it has a fairly tall dispenser so that larger glasses fit underneath, I recommend taking your largest glass with you to look at refrigerators to see if the glasses you use most often will fit. It also has a lock feature so that if you want to clean the ice/water dispenser area you don't have to worry about hitting it and having ice or water go everywhere.

I drink water all day long (though I'm considering switching to alcohol of some sort! ;) ) so I really like being able to get ice and water right from the door. I just wish that the my GE seemed better made and that my water was cold like my old fridge was so that I didn't HAVE to add ice to have a cold glass of water.

I can easily remove the ice holder though to get ice for parties, etc.

Kat :)

• americancolleen
    14 years ago

1. 15 YO Amana SXS, ice/water on the door
    2. Yes/No
    3. Would prefer counter depth french door but can't justify the $$ when I can get a larger counter depth SXS. I love (everyone does) ice/water on the door.
    4. we use ice in almost all our drinks
    5. I do think a fridge looks nicer without ice on the door.

Amana is still running strong but I'm probably going to go with a stainless Samsung SXS, ice/water on the door. Can't beat the price for a 25 cu counter depth. Great reviews too. Samsung has two new ice/water in the door french door models coming out - both 23 cu (largest you can find) and one of them will have ice on the door and an additional ice maker in the freezer compartment. Sounds pretty good to me but I am not sure of the price - I imagine they'll be lower than the GE models though.

I believe most ice on the door fridge models have a removeable ice basin for when you need a lot of ice. I've done that when I just need a cooler full for the beach or something but for a party I just go and buy a couple of bags.

• User
    14 years ago

I had a Whirlpool for 14 years with ice and water in the door and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It becomes a dirty mess and it's very hard to clean, especially if you have hard water. Never again.

I have a counter depth freezer-on-the-bottom fridge now and I'm much happier and the fridge is much cleaner.

They all have a removable bin for ice, but the one in my new fridge is much easier to remove since there's no door dispenser mechanism in the way.

I do have a water dispenser inside the fridge door, but I don't use it since I don't drink my well water. I love the icemaker in the freezer, it's very handy. When my 3 y.o. grandson was up last fall, he thought it was the best toy in the house, easy to reach and nobody yelled at him for getting ice.

• User
    14 years ago

I have an Amana S/S in our new lakehouse kitchen. At home I have a Whirpool S/S.

Though I think they look nicer without, I would never get a fridge that didn't have ice/water in the door. We all drink lots of water - never stocked carbonated beverages except for parties while kids lived at home - and we all like it iced.

This was one of those times when function won out over form in our kitchen design choices.

• zelmar
    14 years ago

1. We have 4 year old Electrolux Icon sxs counterdepth.

2. We didn't originally want ice in the door but we liked the fridge so much that we got it anyway. NOW I'm (and everyone else in my family) a total convert and never want to be without ice in the door again. In fact, the only thing stopping me from replacing the sxs with an all-fridge model is that I don't want to lose the ice in the door feature (we have a full freezer in a nearby room.)

3&4. We never even had an icemaker before so maybe part of my enthusiasm is having the easy access to ice in general--in the door or not. We drink a lot more water with handy ice---we particularly like the crushed ice and only use cubes for pitchers. We've never had any problems with the ice dispenser in the 4 years that we've had it.

5. We also have a filtered water dispenser next to the ice dispenser. The water dispenses very slowly and is not chilled. I never use this feature--our prep sink is close by and I prefer the aerated water from the spray mode of our faucet. Our tap water is terrific and doesn't need to be filtered.

The ice storage bucket is removable but we rarely use bulk ice and when we do we usually need so much that I end up purchasing it.

• michellemarie
    14 years ago

I will soon be on my 3rd frig for this house. The first 13 years ago, was a whirlpool side by side without the ice/water dispenser on the outside of the door. After my oldest son got a job at Best Buy, he used his discount to get us a bigger frig with the ice/water dispenser. I hated it. My kids were playing with it all the time. If it wasn't cleaned it looked gross. I am still using this frig, but in my garage is a 48" GE Monogram side by side. No outside water dispenser. I would never get one again. It does seem though that I am in the minority. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

1. SbyS CD
    2. Yes
    3. I like Bosch (German design) and I like CD.
    4. Keeps produce amazinlyg fresh
    5. Nothing really perhpas the awkward Ice bucket.
    For me it is not an issue as we have another refrig with
    bags of ice for parties.

My old Refrig was a Superba KitchenAid.
    1. SbyS Giant size with water dispenser.
    2. No,
    3. but it is a good product just too big.
    If you have the space it is a great product.
    4. Space was nice but not essential
    5. A monster

I can see how you might not like a built in dispenser.
    We also have a GE Side by Side full size Refrig no
    water dispenser stainless steel. It is wonderful.
    No messes. This is in the bar/game room not our main
    kitchen.

• tanem
    14 years ago

I've had a Kitchen Aid and a GE both with the dispenser. In our new home I'm getting the Thermdor columns without the dispenser because I cannot stand the mess. We are in the rental until our house is finished and this dispenser gets water everywhere (even with adults). Eventually you get calcium build-up around the dispenser and we have stains on the outside of the fridge. If you have children I would not recommend one.

We are getting a cold water dispenser by our sink. We all drink a lot of water.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

1. What style of refrigerator do you have?
    KA counter-depth 36" SxS.
    2. Would you get it again?
    No.
    3. Why or why not?
    I do not like the SxS configuration. But the KA has performed flawlessly. I have had it for 4 years, and I have never had leaks, water on the floor (like a poster above reported), and the ice drops nicely into a glass or even into a large bowl. Also, the temperature has been perfect.
    Filtered water tastes really great; and the filter is easy to change.
    I do not like the SxS configuration--way too narrow. Although I have plenty of vertical storage, and over 25 cu. ft. of capacity, the narrowness is very limiting. At holidays or parties it is particularly problematic. E.g. the Thanksgiving turkey and all the side dishes won't fit the narrow width. Or big birthday cake and pizza? No way.

If I had to do it again, I would get a single-door, bottom freezer configuration. I have enough room in my kitchen for a single door style. As to the water-in-the-door convenience, I would have opted instead for an under-sink water filter for drinking water. As to the ice, I would have been content to get the ice out of an ice bin in the freezer rather than through the door.

Like the other posters have said, you can just remove the ice bin if you want large amounts of ice.

I am actually always hoping my KA SxS will break, so that I can have a good excuse to replace it with a single-door bottom-freezer style. But the darn thing keeps working flawlessly. I'd get another KA, since this one has been so great. But because it has performed so flawlessly, I don't see any hope in the near future for a reason to replace it!

• alforfun
    14 years ago

Ha! Great idea for a poll, my friends and I have been debating this forever! However for us--
    1. S/S Maytag, 12 years old
    2. No, never again
    3. Let me count the ways why not:
    a. Dispenser always looks dirty - got mold in the groves which was hard to removed, even after soaking
    b. icemaker broke at least four times, and needed new parts
    c. area UNDER dispenser ledge actually rusted on the refrigerator itself, quite unsightly
    d. kids would always leave a mess, ice on floor, etc
    4. We really did like the filtered water and ice idea, when it worked
    5. see #3.

For the new kitchen (under construction), we are going with a Subzero all refrig, with the freezer in the pantry a few steps down the hall. We did get a separate undercounter ice maker, which we LOVE, tons of ice, no mess, just open door and scoop some out. Working on the filtered water, maybe by sink?

• lovlilynne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi - I'm tallying up all the responses. I noticed that some folks are answering the 2nd question for the refrigerator (brand/style) not the water/ice feature - which is what I am asking. I asked for the style just for demographic info.

It's interesting that everyone who has responded that specified a type of refrigerator has a SBS and most would get the ice/water in the door again (well, 63% so far). I wonder if that has to do with the fact that the space taken up by the ice maker is in the freezer, and therefore not as much of an issue as it would be in a FD.

• ella_socal
    14 years ago

I'll start by saying that ever since I was little, we've had a water/ice dispener, *until* the Subzero we got just 2 months ago. I'll use my last unit for below --
    1. GE Profile Performance SS (2000-2008 until we sold the house), side by side
    2. I'd get a built-in instead, but, yes, it was a fine fridge (much better than the Kitchenaid Architect we had temporarily in our new house)
    3. Worked fine for 8 years; only problem was that the water line (plastic) cracked eventually and needed replacement
    4. Convenience! I hate the Brita I'm using now and will install a Rohl filter faucet with water chiller at the sink
    5. Not much -- probably that it's usually not very attractive

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

1. 4 mo old KA CD FD BF. Before that we had a 19+ yr old Kenmore (Whirlpool) sxs. Neither came with ice/water in door but have ice makers and bin in freezer. Current one has water dispenser inside fridge.
    2. No, never, can't make me! ;-)
    3. I'm in the minority, never had an ice/water dispenser in the door, never want it, ever! In fact, my whole reason for not going with a sxs is that you *can not* get a freestanding model that does not have ice/water dispenser in the door. But that's okay because I love the FD BF configuration. We have great tasting water that doesn't need filtration (yes, I know we're fortunate) so tap works great for us - gotta love the low-tech approach. The ice bucket is easy to remove, plus it came with an ice scoop that has a handy resting place for it at the front of the bin.
    4. N/A
    5. My reasons for not liking ice/water in the door have already been stated - messy, gross if not cleaned regularly, water on floor, high % of repairs. I look at this feature as one of the nice but not necessary luxuries that cost more money and break down often.

• eastcoastmom
    14 years ago

1. I have this on my old top freezer GE profile

1. Considered it for the new 48" SxS Subzero, but decided against it.
    2. Ice machine was nothing but trouble in the old fridge - broke constantly, I doubt the SZ would be as bad but it would take up too much valuable space. The SZ does have an interior filtered icemaker.
    3. I really do like continuous access to ice and filtered water. Am doing a separate water filter by the sink along with an instant hot/cold dispenser.
    4. Ice would go all over the floor, hard to clean, ugly stains on dispenser.
  • corgimum
    14 years ago

1. Amana s/s
    2. yes
    3. Love the cold, filtered water and easy access ice cubes
    4. See #3
    5. Nothing that would keep me from getting one again

We dump the ice into coolers all of the time. It is easy because the coolers are large. If you were trying to empty it into a small-mouthed container it would be hard not to make a mess.

• vakitchen
    14 years ago

1. What style of refrigerator do you have? (FD, S/S, CD FD, bottom freezer, etc.) I now have a Kitchen Aide S/S, hate it, always have. I purchased a SubZero Bottom Freezer CD, it will be delivered in 1 week - can't wait.
    2. Would you get it again - yes or no NO!
    3. Why or why not Always a mess and it has always had problems, in fact the ice maker has been broken for about 2 months.
    4. What do you like best about this feature? I like the ice and water in the door for convience and that was it!
    5. What do you dislike most about this feature? The looks of the dispenser and the mess the water and ice made. I am getting an integrated refrigerator this time. I will also have filtered ice from the bottom freezer and I am installing an insta hot with a hot and cold faucet on my prep sink.

You can remove the ice bin and dump it out as needed.

• mdmc
    14 years ago

We bought a Sub Zero with the integrated panels so we don't have water or ice in the door. Had it with the last fridge and don't miss it at all. Like the look of the new fridge much better.

• lv_r_golden
    14 years ago

1. redid kit in old house - put in KA SS with ice in door - loved it.

2. No, built new house and put in SubZ SS with interior IM.

3. What we liked about the KA was the "crushed ice" feature, especially nice for ice bags needed with high school sports.

4. SS did not have that option. - whole ice or no ice.

5. KA removable tray always looked "not quite clean to me" and we drink RO water not the filtered water.

• rbsohio
    14 years ago

Kenmore Elite CD Bottom freezer
    Yes
    3. Why or why not
    Love the counter depth, and water in the door
    Convenience of cold water on the door
    No dislikes - I do miss having the ice on the door, but did not want to give up valuable freezer space

• weissman
    14 years ago

1. KA SxS
    2. YES
    3. Love the ice through the door
    4. Convenience
    5. No dislikes - I don't use the water that much - it does run a little slow.

I've been lucky - no problems at all with icemaker in 6 1/2 years.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

I think there is a flaw in your survey, assuming that you are asking this for your own decision making. You did not specify an age cut off.

1. What style of refrigerator do you have? Ancient Kenmore side by side. We are negotiating with the Smithsonian on who gets custody after we move into our new house.

2. Would you do it again? We didn't do it in the first place. It came with the house, but to answer your question--no.

3. Why or why not? Because we will buy a FD bottom freezer model and there are too many reports of problems with water and ice through the door on the current FD models.

4. What do you like best about this feature? It attracts the cats when they hear the ice drop out of the chute. Cats are strange creatures.

5. What do you dislike most about this feature? Having to give the cats ice cubes to play with. They don't clean up after themselves. Bad kitties!

Hope this helped.

• ptyles
    14 years ago

1. What style of refrigerator do you have? (FD, S/S, CD FD, bottom freezer, etc.) FD, Samsung
    2. Would you get it again - yes!
    3. Why or why not - Great fridge with tons of space. I can fit loads of food, large trays, gallons of milk etc.
    4. What do you like best about this feature? I love having the french doors. I like being able to open just one side to grab something quick or open both doors easily and take out a large tray.
    5. What do you dislike most about this feature? The ice is slow to come out of the ice maker.

We can take the bucket out where the ice is made and easily dump it or even add ice if we were inclined.

• lovlilynne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Creek side, you made me LOL! No, there's no age limit because I think that anyone's experience with the ice and water in the door is relevant to my decision making - unfortunately, some are answering whether they would have ice/water in door question as whether they would have the *same* refrigerator again - not exactly what I was looking for.

Oh well, I am getting a lot of good information - I am being swayed more towards not having ice/water in door (which was my original inclination), but I mostly didn't want it because of space - and I realize that even WITH the ice/water in the door, the Electrolux has MORE cubic shelving space than the GE. I can also lock the ice/water feature, so why wouldn't I just go for the bigger FD CD (which also, btw, has the skinniest profile of all the other FD CD) that I can? Except, of course, for the additional $785 that it will cost me!

I think I'm in for a rude awakening with the FD CD anyway - I have a huge fridge and it's always packed. I have 11 salad dressings on my door right now - 11! Where the heck are they going to go? I have another row of 16 condiments and cooking items on another door shelf. I crack up at the pictures of these refrigerators with 5 items on the shelves - ha! I see milk on the door, but where are the eggs? And who is using the drawer to fill with canopies? Anyway, my problem, but I didn't want to exacerbate it with less door storage.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

My response will be a little different in that my old refrigerator has an ice dispenser only and my new refrigerator has a water dispenser only.

1. What style of refrigerator do you have? (FD, S/S, CD FD, bottom freezer, etc.)

Old: Top freezer, standard (36"x36") (GE Profile, bought in 1995)...has ice dispenser only [now in basement]
      New: CD FD Bottom Freezer (GE Profile PFCS1NJWSS, bought in 2008)...has water dispenser only

1. Would you get it again - yes or no

Old: No
      New: Yes

1. Why or why not

Old: Ice dispenser never worked right, it kept freezing up. We disconnected it after the 3rd or 4th service call when we were told we were going to have to use a hair dryer to thaw it out whenever it froze up. Despite constant cleaning, outside of dispenser developed what I can only guess is mildew. We only used the dispenser for a few months and we still had the mildew stains!

New: Yes. The water dispenser works fine and after a year I haven't seen an mildew buildup. B/c of our experiences w/our old refrigerator, we deliberately chose one w/o an ice dispenser. It still has an ice maker, but just not a dispenser.

BTW...an added advantage, but not the reason we bought it, of no dispenser is that the ice maker is in the freezer, not taking up room in the refrigerator. CD refrigerators have less room as it is and I'd hate to loose more space to an ice maker!

1. What do you like best about this feature?

Old: If it had worked, cubed or crushed ice easily dispensed.
      New: Cold, filtered water!

1. What do you dislike most about this feature?

Old: It kept freezing up!
      New: Nothing, I have no complaints

• Maria410
    14 years ago

We love our through the door water and ice maker but our ice maker had to be repaired a few times but has been working well since it was repaired properly 4 years ago.

S/S

2. Would you get it again

yes

3. Why -

we love the filtered water and drink more of it.

Convenience and filtered water.

Once in a while (usually August) the ice cubes at the bottom become a big blob and I have to take the bucket out, get the ice out and let it dry and start over. This is so rare though that it doesn't bother me to do it.

Ours has a quick release so that you can dump the whole bucket easily.

Also for me, a must have feature is that the water catching grill slides out so that we can wash it in the sink. We do not have problems with calcium build up or mold / mildew issues.

• biochem101
    14 years ago

I do not have it. Have never had it (6 houses). And would never get it. Don't see the point because I don't use ice. (British roots - you guys and your iced drinks are setting my teeth on edge!). I drink water but prefer it room temperature. Also, I don't want to lose storage space in the appliance. We buy bag ice if we need it for a party.

Having said that, and reading the answers above, I might feel it when we go to sell and prospective buyers are horrified! :D (I actually had the water line REMOVED.)

If you LOVE tons of ice and ice cold water all the time I guess it's a neccessity. If not, then don't bother. But you might consider the resale issue?

• phoggie
    14 years ago

I have a 8 year old GE profile-Artica
    Side-by-side
    YES, I would definately get water and ice in the door~~~
    love it and use it several times a day.
    I hate to fill trays (and they always seemed to be empty when I wanted ice).
    I also love the fact that the water is filtered....our tap water is not good.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Kitchen Aid Side by side.

If you ever have a power failure for more than a few minutes get the ice out of the dispenser.

Throw it in a plastic bag in the freezer.

If the ice melts in many units it can drip into the dispenser motor and then freeze when power is restored.

The motor can burn out if energized when frozen, and in any case needs to be removed, thawed, allowed to dry, and then reinstalled.

The service guy is going to put a new motor in since they are not going to wait hours and come back later.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

I am going to get one for myself when I finish things up with other appliances. But my parents just went through this so:

1. GE SxS
    2. Yes.
    3. convenience over the old ice trays.
    4. With the GE, you had to hesitate when removing the glass from filling ice in order to get that last cube. Else it went on the floor.

In the remodel, Mom replaced the SxS with a Maytag FD with ice in the door. she had the GE for something like 15 years and wanted a new one with water and ice.

You didn't ask, but she has since found that she doesn't really like the freezer. Things get lost in it since it's basically just a big basket. The SxS, though more narrow, allowed better visibility and access.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

WeedMeister...doesn't your mom's freezer have drawers/pullout bins above the bottom bin? We have two pullouts above the main bin that are perfect for veggies on the top, meat in the middle (or pizza boxes), and breads, etc. in the bottom. I lose less things now than I did w/my old top mount freezer.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

1. What style of refrigerator do you have? (FD, S/S, CD FD, bottom freezer, etc.)--KA built-in SXS

2. Would you get it again - yes

3. Why or why not--I love having ice disp and filtered water disp (water line to fridge is filtered, then there's a filter in the fridge, so double-filtered water and ice)

4. What do you like best about this feature?--Not having to keep giant bottle of water in the fridge, not having to make ice/fill ice cube trays

5. What do you dislike most about this feature?--water from dispenser isn't very cold so must use ice, even for a tiny glass of water. Ice dispenser is slow to dispense the ice. If water happens to drip down front of door, PITA to clean the door front w/out streaking.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

1. Sears Kenmore, FD (only 1 mo. old)

2. So far--YES!

3. LOVE crushed ice. I am drinking more water than I used to, and we already had a separate filtered water faucet. The water in the fridge tastes a little "clearer" than the water that comes from our filtered tap. I quite enjoy it!

4. Icemaker is actually in the door and doesn't infringe upon the fridge's interior space, which was a feature I desired.

5. The dispenser area is smaller than I would like. In my excitement over how "pretty" it was, I kinda overlooked that feature. Oh well. Now I have to buy some new iced tea glasses. ;^)

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

How do you do without cold water and crushed ice? how do you make cocktails? couldnt live without those two essentials :)

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I heard a lot about ice dispensers breaking. We drink a lot of ice so we compromised by getting ice in the freezer and water through the door. We're very happy with this choice.

(I'm making extra ice right now for a party ... that's why the second compartment has ice in it too at the moment.)

• sandsonik
    14 years ago

Interesting post. I'm probably the odd one out here in that I've NEVER lived in a house that had one. We don't actually use much ice and I currently keep a Britta water pitcher in the fridge. I've been wondering whether to get a fridge with this feature and join the current century when it comes time to re-do my kitchen. I might tend to drink water more often with it, which would be good, but my fridge wall has no plumbing and I think it would be prohibitively expensive for something I really don't care that much about!

How the heck much does it cost to bring a water line up from the basement just for a fridge, anyway?

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

1. In our old house, we had a side x side and HATED it. Neither side had enough space. I had ice and water in the door.
    2. Would you get it again? Absolutly not.
    3. Why or why not? Little bits of ice dropped on the floor whenever we used the ice dispenser. After 4 years the ice disp. quit working and was just a huge waste of space. Never got it fixed, didn't miss it.
    4. What do you like best about this feature? Nothing really....it wasn't worth the trouble.
    5. What do you dislike most about this feature? the space it stole from my already too small freezer and the ice dropping on the floor.

I have the most delicious well water on the face of the earth at my house. I drink either my well water or bottled water. I do not miss the ice and water one little teeny bit.

• yadax3
    14 years ago

1. FD w/interior water dispenser, but I had a SxS with ice/water in the door.
    2. No. But I might consider it if I had children in the house again.
    3. Cleaning, ice dropping on floor, prefer the clean smooth door look - no gadgets on the door.
    4. Probably the crushed ice but I don't need it.
    5. See 3.

• autumngal
    14 years ago

We have:

1. What style of refrigerator do you have? GE Profile FD with water and ice in door, it's about 2 months old
    2. Would you get it again - I'd definitly get another FD fridge, probably this one, but maybe not- see #3
    3. Why or why not- because the water and ice are painfully slow. It's fine, but we drink lots of water and it just takes awhile. Plus it only makes a set number of cubes per hour, so you really can't use it for a party, which is a draw-back. On the whole, I love the fridge, but I might look into a slightly different model that might not have these issues
    4. What do you like best about this feature? I love that my 7 and 5 year old can get their own water- no more Mommy! I'm thirsty! They help themselves- for me, I love the convienience of having cold water right there and ice right there (iced coffee is a breeze!).
    I don't like how slow the water and ice are and don't like that we can't use the ice maker for making ice for parties. I guess we could, but it would take much more effort than it's worth.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I don't have it at home and never have but I have it at my weekend lake place and I did it again there when I got a new fridge up there.

I have a side by side in both places - home is 42" built-in, lake is 36" regular depth

I did get it again at the lake place - would never get it at home

3. Why or why not

Reason I got it again at the lake place is because we have a lot of visitors in the summer and it gets used alot. Also people for some reason have evolved into not being willing to drink water out of a faucet. So they take two sips from bottled water and then waste the rest. I stopped offering bottled water and direct them to the ice/water dispenser and they go along with that.

Above - guests seem to like it and I personally like lemonade with crushed ice in the summer and it makes good crushed ice.

It's kind of a mess - unsightly mineral deposits in the bottom, ice flying out on the wood floor, water dribbling down the front of fridge, etc.

Another drawback a friend recently pointed out - if you have the ice dispenser in the door - as I do. Her power went out for a period of time - ice melted and water leaked damaging her wood floor.

• geller
    14 years ago

We have a S/S GE Monogram which just (one month) replaced a GE S/S. Both had ice and water
    2. Would you get it again - yes or no Absolutely. We never have found that the ice ran out. When we are planning a party, we empty the ice into a bag in advance.
    3. Why or why not
    The convenience of having the ice/water is clear. We use ice and water a lot, and just filling a glass is easy. I drink more because of it.
    The old GE had a slider switch that was always in the wrong position, while the new one has a touch panel that lets you know and change the position easily.

If you are sloppy, you can drip water on the floor.

Also, just a general question about the ice in the door - can you still dump a big bucket of it out somehow? I assume you can, but I have never had the ice in the door, so I don't know how that works. We use ice in bulk much more than in individual glasses.
    Yes, you can pull out the ice and fill a bucket.

• lovlilynne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi - I hope to compile all the answers and post a summary this weekend. It's interesting to see the trends:
    1. SbS - favor the ice/water in the door, I am surmising that the door space in the *freezer* is not as much of an issue as when it is lost in the refrigerator (as in FD or bottom freezer models).
    2. Comments about filling ice trays - do any refrigerators still have ice trays??? I don't have water/ice in door, but my fridge (14 years old) has an ice maker.
    3. Comments about the looks of water/ice in door - I never even thought about the look, it doesn't really bother me either way. I guess I'm very practical in that I'm focussed on the space it takes up in the refrigerator - that concerns me way more than the looks. Althougth, the cleaning aspects have me concerned. I never notice it looking "dirty" in OPH though, so maybe it's owner/model specific?

Thanks,

Lynne