SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Free Advice & Worth Every Penny

sylviatexas1
16 years ago

It's a dreary day, & the post about new babies & "old" babies made me think of life insurance, & that made me think of wills.

Please make your wills, make your other half make a will (present it to him aready written up if that's what it takes, sometimes men show an incredible capacity for refusing to admit their own mortality), & do your best make sure your children's other parent has a will.

My brother & sister-in-law recently had a tragedy which led to a hurtful & disapointing "wake-up".

On Labor Day, my brother's son & grandson were killed in an auto accident.

My brother's 2 remaining children, a son & a daughter, came after him for all their brother's life & auto liability insurance benefits;

They threatened to severe all communication with him if he didn't fork over the money...

which was the wrong thing to do.

My brother had done a lot of the things I read about here:

spent money he could ill afford because his kids "wanted" (demanded) it,

humbled himself to spend time with them,

you name it.

but their threat backfired:

He said he never realized how much of their relationship was based on blackmail & intimidation until his son emailed him demanding to know "what you plan to do about the money, & I want you to think about your answer, because it will determine whether we have a relationship in the future" & until the daughter called him & chewed him out & told him she felt like coming to his house & "kicking your a$$".

so he told them that he loved them very much but that he just couldn't bring himself to submit to emotional blackmail, & that they would be welcome any time they cared to call & come by.

Well...

if they'll treat their father that way, they'd even more vicious to his wife, never mind the fact that she gave up a lot of time & a lot of financial benefit on their behalf.

so I've been suggesting that they make wills, & reminding them about wills, but nothing was happening.

The other day I sent my brother an email, so he can see it in black & white, & told him about a friend who just had "sweetheart" wills made with her husband (he leaves it all to her & she leaves it all to him).

Their attorney mentioned how good it was that they were doing that, since the husband had grown children by a previous marriage.

If he died intestate, Texas being a community property state, his widow would get the same share of his half of the community property as each one of his children would get.

If there were 2 children, she'd get 1/6th (1/3 of husband's 1/2).

Even though she would own 2/3 (her 1/2 + 1/6th), if she didn't have enough cash to buy their part,

*they could force her to sell the home she'd worked so hard for*.

So I emailed that, & the light bulb went on, & they're having wills drawn up.

& the moral of the story is...

*Whatever* you want to happen to your estate or your assets when you're gone, & whatever your spouse wants to happen to his/hers, everyody needs to make a will to that effect.

It's a pretty sure thing that the state will not handle your estate exactly like you would want it, & once you're gone, your nearest & dearest are apt to draw blood fighting over it.

& do it as quickly as you can.

It sounds very trite, but none of us know when we'll go:

My brother's son was on the way home from a fishing trip with his son on Labor day.

He was 28.

Comments (9)