SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth09

Book recommendation for dealing with the mentally ill?

beth09
6 years ago

I believe my sister is mentally ill. She has never been diagnosed, because it's everybody else and not her. I have one brother and my mother, and neither of them will stand up to her/confront her about it. I have to deal with her, because of my mother. We both help with her care, though she lives in an assisted living residence.

She is 65, NO friends. She loses any she makes, pretty quick. Never married, no one has even asked her for a date in probably decades, yet she is a very pretty woman and dresses well. She's constantly getting into confrontations with neighbors, landlords, people in my moms place. She's been asked to leave 3 churches by her own admission. Wherever she goes, there's strife. Except, for my brother. I honestly don't think she shows him this side or at least to the extent everyone else gets to see, which makes me wonder, IS she really ill, or something else? But she seems to even lack common sense/general knowledge. You look at her and truly wonder how she has gotten through life. (she's lived out west for probably a total of 25 years at various times) My kids and husband don't want to be around her, no one does. :(

She literally makes things up, and then rehashes them for years, or longer. She is always being wronged, often by me or my mom, but it's in her head. The things either never happened at all, or not the way she remembers them.

I'm at my wits end. I need some help, because whether I'm nice to her, blunt, evasive, whatever, nothing works. There's always something divisive/confrontational going on.

Case in point. Right now we are dealing with the fact that my mom gave each of us girls 6 settings of sterling flatware when she dies (but we can have it now). I have all of it at my house. My sister insists I told my mom many years ago that I ran some through the DW and ruined it, and I also dipped some in that instant tarnish remover and ruined more. Thing is, it never happened. So, 6 years ago in a giant temper tantrum, she told me to keep the silver, there was too much anger and bad memories attached to it. (long story, another delusion). Now the other day, in another tantrum, she asks for her silver. I copy and paste the email where she gave it up. Oh, that was then, this is now. She was just mad. So, I email her back and tell her even though she gave it to me, I am giving her her portion (that was hard). She can come over and pick whatever pieces she deems "ok". She emails me back in response about yet ANOTHER delusion that happened over a year ago that has to do with my son moving into my moms house. ????? How do you deal with that? After today, I'm at my wits end. I would have never dreamed I would ask such a thing, especially on line. But that's how desperate I am. I have been dealing with this for 50 years....

So, does anyone have a good book? I could go read reviews on dozens of books, but somehow I don't think that would help me pick one. This might at least narrow things down.

So, anybody got a book?

Comments (71)