SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

Crown moulding questions, X-post

canishel
13 years ago

Cross-posted in Remodeling and Home Decorating forum.

IÂm thinking about putting up wood crown moulding, stained to match the other mouldings and doors.

What should I do at the top of the fieldstone (?) fireplace, where the stone meets the ceiling? The ceiling paint flows into the mortar and looks unsightly. If crown moulding is placed over the stone wall, should the moulding be coped to follow the stone (virtually impossible to do)? Should I just live with the paint in the mortar?

The next problem concerns floor-to-ceiling bookcases. These bookcases are mahogany and have approximately 1 ½ inch moulding at the top. There is a gap of maybe ½ inch from the top of the moulding to the ceiling as a result of removing popcorn. This moulding could probably be removed, but not placed higher on the bookcases; refinishing the top of the bookcases would probably be too hard for me to do. So, do I remove this moulding and replace with crown moulding? Do I leave the moulding in place and put quarter-round at the top (I might be able to match the stain)?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!