SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oh_my

To Hug or Not to Hug

oh_my
16 years ago

Anyone ever have a child who doesn't seem to want to be hugged?

My SD just stands there with her arms at her side if anyone in our family tries to hug her...me, dad, or little sister. I know her dad should still hug her anyway, and I'm not about to tell a 4yo not to hug her big sister. I just give her little short hugs here and there at bedtime and such. I don't try to push it too much since it seems to make her sort of uncomfortable.

I just really bothers my husband that she acts like this towards him and her sister. She gives her mom and her family and her little cousins lots of big hugs, but just sort of acts like if dad or sis over here hug her that it's just awful. Every once in a while she will hug back, but it's usually when she's been caught off guard.

I didn't come from a very huggy family. I hug my mom and dad and grandma, but not usually my brother or sister...unless there's been a death or a wedding...which many of my friends, by the way, think is extemely odd. Of course, I hug my kids all the time, but I try not to force hugs on my SD too much.

Anyway, I tell hubby to just keep hugging away and that one day she will hug back, but he gets kind of hurt by the lack of reciprocation. Any suggestions or thoughts on the hugging dilemma?

Comments (11)