SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finedreams

DD roommate situation

finedreams
16 years ago

OK, apologies, it is not stepfamily topic. But frankly other forums aren't as active. And everybody is a parent here so help me with this. I guess no advice will help, but maybe somebody can come up with something?

DD is in college, 1st year, lives with 5 other people, 6 total, they might get one more person so they will be moving somewhere else. She left for college in September. She was here with me for Christmas 2 weeks. I am going to see DD during Easter for a week. She has a break in February, in two weeks, but she flies for a week to her dad because she saw him last time two weeks in August. So with her going back and forth I haven't seen her living arrangements yet.

Living with this bunch of people is the cheapest arrangement, dorm is out of the question. Living with less people is also out of the question. DD has great relationship with all roommates, all college kids, decent.

Now, DD has huge problems with one of the girls-let's call her G. That's why:

1. G smokes in the apt. Doesn't open the windows, doesn't throw ash out, It stinks like smoke and what about second hand smoking?

2. G doesn't clean after herself, it is dirt all over and mess because of her

3. G plays loud music any time she wants to. No matter if others need to study.

Other kids tried to share room with trouble girl, including DD, it was impossible. Nobody can share room with her. Now G has her own room and everybody shares with somebody else. DD raised this question with G (about her behavior) and nothing changed or even got worse. Now DD doesn't speak with G, doesn't look her way etc. It is very hard on DD.

DD asked other roommates to give G warning if she doesn't stop her behavior they will kick her out. Other kids don't want to mess with G, and don't say anything. DD is upset and miserable.

I talked to her again on the phone today and she says she goes to study to the library so she doesn't have to smell smoke and see trash and hear loud music. I feel awful because it is nothing I can do. i am terrified of what i am going to see in March.

I am going to talk to X now if I will catch him now, but what can he do? talk to G's parents? But if G gets in trouble what's gonna happen with DD? Would G make DD's life miserable because she complained to parents? and then they all of legal age what can parents do? Stop paying for college? maybe that's what G's parents have to do?

i am pretty upset because this kind of living conditions are unacceptable for DD. She wants to do well in college and this kind of life is not helping her!

thanks for reading. maybe somebody had similar situation in their life.

Comments (18)