SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynsweet_gw

Getting along with Step-Sisters

cynsweet
16 years ago

I have a huge problem and hopefully will get some advice from someone who has experienced the same thing. Over recent years I have noticed that my Step-Sisters and I are not getting along. A little back ground first...

I'm 27 yrs old and my two younger Step-sisters are 25 and 22 yrs old. The 25yr old is divorce as am I and the 22yr old is married, none of us have children. In 2004, our family lost my brother in the war. When I was 11 yrs old my Dad also died so my Mother and I have been fairly close throughout the years. My Step-father and step-sisters have also been close over the years. After my brother died, my step-sisters and I were close. We would hang out and could had a generally good reasonship. I had to move away due to my husband at the time being in the military. I still remained close with my step-sisters. Then I ended up getting a divorce and coming back home. Again as far as I could tell we were still close, going out together, talking etc.

I started to notice that things were changing when I started to get my life back together, found a job and an apartment, started dating again. Now it has been several years since then and my step-sisters and I almost never talk. When we get together at family functions they talk amoungst them selves and exclude me or when I do invite them over they are constantly busy to find out later that they hung out at my parents all day.

I am frustrated because I have spoken with my Mother on this matter and she sees it also but does not know what to do. I want to say something to them but I am fearful I will make it worse or it may get better for a while but resort to this again. I miss my brother dearly and I want to have that closeness with my step-sisters again. I am unsure what I would have done to upset them. Any insight would be helpful!

Comments (2)