SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seadawg_gw

38yr old stepson still at home - poor boy.

Seadawg
11 years ago

Long story short, stepson had marital problems. Wife abandoned him & his teenage daugher. (she was daughter's stepmon. Bio mom is out of picture too) Had to move out of house because he could not afford mortgage alone. Solution: move in with mom & stepdad. He quit his $40k job to "better his life by going back to school." Now, house foreclosed, vehicle repoed, no job, teenager issues, school on hold.

Here's the problem: it's been almost 2 years since this happened. My marriage is treading on thin ice as is my patience. I get every excuse why it's not a good time to kick them out. He has a girlfriend & spends much of his time with her. That was one of the problems our grandaughter has. She told the counselor that Nana & grandad are her parents, in front of her dad. Poor baby. So, I lost 2 of 3 bedrooms, 1/2 the garage, 1/4 basement, no privacy, wife does laundry constantly & helps grandaughter with homework nightly.

Although I tell my wife not to make it easy for him, she cleans & folds his laundry, caters to our grandaughters every need, etc. We've gone round & round with this. I repeatedly make it very clear what I feel about the situation & she agrees, but won't do anything about it. I have compromised on almost everything since the beginning (I thought short term - wrong).

I'm told to hold on, but I'm 60 & not very patient anymore. I'm frustrated & aggravated at the whole thing. My income is suitable for 2, not a family of 4, & it's being eaten up. Nothing left to play with. I'm just looking for support. Since I'm not providing detailed info, please don't jump to any conclusions about it. You have to be there to appreciate it. I'm just a grumpy old grandad who wants peace & quiet once again. Thank you.

Comments (9)