SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Pocket Doors....Not So Sure Now

sandy808
12 years ago

We are framing out the walls and doors in our house and we had decided to go with all pocket doors, thinking they would be a nice clean finish. Now I'm not so sure about them.

We purchased the Johnson pocket door frames and intend to use nice solid wood doors. The frames have been installed and when I went in the house today I was not impressed with the frames. In fact my stomach rolled over.

The section of "wall" where the frames are installed flex....a lot. Our walls are going to be tongue and groove cypress (no drywall). I understand that the cypress walls will stiffen the area, at least to some degree, but not as well as a wall with a swing door.

Feeling these frames flex screams flimsy and shoddy. Not something I should be feeling when each frame kit was $200 apiece. I will say that the ball bearing track feels fine.

I'm ready to rip them out and just have swinging doors. Any one else feel this way about pocket door frames? And how in the world would one ever get in there to clean out the cobwebs and cat hair?!

Sandy (who is in much need of a break from building this house)

Comments (17)