SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joelmr

Were my pocket doors installed correctly?

joelmr
16 years ago

We're remodeling our house, and among the many things we're doing is the addition of a few pocket doors. Two are pairs, and one is a single, and all of them share some interesting "characteristics" -- I'll refrain from calling them mistakes since I don't really know, but I'm not happy about it.

The first, and most troubling issue, is that when the doors are closed, it looks like the door is a little too small for the opening. For example, with the pairs, when the two doors are butting up against each other, you see a gap in the area where the door would go back into the pocket. Part of this gap is caused because the pocket is of course wider than the door by a few sixteenths, but still, something just looks wrong.

So, I measured everything, and now I'm not sure if it's a mistake, or just unreasonable expectations on my part. One of the openings is 48" exactly, between the trimmed edges of the pocket door openings, and the two doors that fill that opening are exactly 24" wide each. So, technically, you could say that the doors are the perfect size. But, it just doesn't look right. If I push the doors back into their pockets by about 1/2 inch each, leaving a 1" gap between them in the middle, then the edges where the doors go into the pockets look "right", and you don't notice the gap there, but of course then the doors aren't actually closed any more. Is this normal? Is this something my GC should have mentioned to me about pocket doors? The only (easy) way I can think of to fix this is to add a little trim to make the whole door opening an inch narrower, but that might look klunky. Wider doors won't work because they wouldn't fit completely back in the pockets, and I think it's way too much work at this point to lengthen the pockets, and in fact in some cases I don't think I even could.

The other problem is that when the doors are open, the top of the door is nicely flush with the trim, but the bottom juts out about 1/2" -- not a big deal, but not really finished looking either. I figured the door just needs to be adjusted -- it's hanging from two hangers, so just shorten the "rear" one to straighten the door. But, when the doors are closed, they butt up perfectly against each other (or in the case of the single pocket, it butts perfectly into the jamb). so that means that the door is going from a not-level state when it's open, to a level state when it's closed. And, all the other easily measured parts of the door frame are perfectly level. This must mean that the track itself isn't level, and in the case of the double-doors, it must be in a gentle upside-down curved V shape, since both doors suffer symmetrically.

My question here is, is this normal? I'm surprised because this problem occurs on all of my pocket doors. The fix seems easy enough, just take the doors out and shim the track to get it level, but I'm just curious why it might have happened so consistently like this on all the doors. BTW, these were all pre-hung pocket door assemblies. The two pairs of doors are in new construction, and the single door is a retrofit.

-Joel

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths