SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Update - bathroom is finished

User
12 years ago

This took way longer than I would've liked but here it is. I went with BM Moroccan Red and we're very happy with the color. I've had no problems with makeup application. The ceiling is Ace Light Navajo White like the rest of the house. Trim is white.

*If you don't want to read details, jump below.

I'd first like to say I used BM Aura Bath & Spa and I was completely amazed at how wonderful the stuff is. I used leftover white Zinsser 123 primer and even though I used two coats of red, it covered in one. I even love the smell! It's kind of fruity and reminds me almost of pina colada. Worth every penny.

We did remove the mirror to paint but put it back after the first coat so we didn't bang the wall all up iykwim.

I wish I could get the colors to show up accurate. The red isn't orange at all. The towels are linen and match the rug and the background of the shower curtain. I tried using gold and camel colored towels but to my surprise, I didn't like it.

I prefer warmer finishes but I was concerned about how orb would hold up over time and wondered if I'd tire of it eventually. I also couldn't justify replacing the perfectly good shower curtain rod and rings. I think the chrome has a very clean look. The vanity lights were chrome but looked cheap so they were sprayed orb. I also switched out the curtain rod from antique brass to orb.

I tried all white knobs for the vanity but they looked gaudy so I ended up with the chrome/white and think it works.

I know some people are going to be grossed out by the stand near the toilet but it doesn't bother me. There are also a few inches of breathing room between the shelf and the toilet.

Before:

I can't find a before shot of the bathroom put together but here's what I started with.

{{gwi:1582345}}

This was the original valance that was paired with burgundy towels and shower curtain. I gave them to my Mom.

{{gwi:1761375}}

After:

This one is a pretty accurate shot of the wall color. - at least on my monitor.

{{gwi:1761376}}

{{gwi:1761377}}

I'm open to suggestion with the shelf. I had a smaller glass hurricane holding the soap (3 bars was all that would fit) but it didn't look weighty enough. I also had a smaller wicker basket with 3 towels but I think it looks better with the one that's there.

{{gwi:1761378}}

The vanity is SW Woodsy Brown. It's very warm and matches the brown in the floral fabric well.

There are times I wish I would've tried stain first but the sides weren't real wood and I didn't feel like messing with it at the time.

{{gwi:1761379}}

{{gwi:1761380}}

I'll take another picture when the sun goes down so you can see the fabrics better.

Comments (62)

• purrus
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks awesome--great job!!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Walnutcreek - I wiped down the cabinets well because of hairspray and dust and used Zinsser's 123 primer. It's my favorite because it adheres well and you don't need to sand! It's pretty much my go to primer. I cleaned, primed, quick light sanding because of the raised grain from the primer, and two coats of paint - waiting a day between (paint) coats.

Here's a full shot showing the rug better and a few more close ups of the fabric. (Thank you Les for finding that rug!) It does have some blue/gray in it which I think helps tie in with the floor (that I don't like).
    {{gwi:1761381}}

The houndstooth check shows up better IRL instead of looking all blendy.
    {{gwi:1761382}}

I'm so thankful My3dogs shared her valance tutorial. They're not hard to make and I really like the look.
    {{gwi:1761383}}
    {{gwi:1761384}}

Just wanted to mention, the reason I usually yammer with explanations is because I usually have lots of threads leading up to the update and I ask lots of different questions. I always like to see what people decide and why.

Thanks for all the nice thoughts and thank you to everyone for your help along the way!

• Related Discussions

Bathroom window finished, finally close to finishing the remodel

Q

Comments (2)
    Kevin, it really took me by surprise when I scrolled down! The treatment is beautiful and I think stands up well with the other strong elements in your room, including your cat ;) In particular I think it is a good fit with your vanity in style and substance. Now the real test is ... do you find yourself laying in the tub gazing up at it lost in thoughtful admiration?
    ...See More

Updating "dated" bathroom / contractor pressure

Q

Comments (15)
    Palimpsest, you have outdone yourself with these moodboards! In RE: your first post, I actually brought home Desert Gray and Suede Gray in addition to the Architectural Gray! I thought both of those would work okay with the brown tile, too. I really love this range and hope I can use it in some shape or color. But wow, the Spa and Mint Ice look fantastic! I'd definitely consider one of those, particularly the mint. And you're right, those colors have the added bonus of being period appropriate. The marble actually looks better than I thought it would too; I had considered it but ruled it out, for whatever reason. I also really like the Biscuit next to the tile, but my only hesitation is that the bathtub and countertop are STARK white...do you think that would clash? Thanks!!
    ...See More

Bathroom vanity update & bathroom cabinet painting

Q

Comments (1)
    I would replace both counters and sinks. The sinks do not match so even if you do (sort of) match the brown counter they will not look like they go together.
    ...See More

Guest Bathroom UPDATE!

Q

Comments (8)
    @HU-187528210 Love love that blue for the vanity! I like the idea of a patterned tile too, but what would work best with the medium brown wood that throughout the rest of the house? I also love the idea of the wall panels/wainscotting, but not sure how to execute that with the walls in there. Inspo pics here! Kind of all over the place haha looking primarily at these colors, patterns and hardware in some capacity.
    ...See More
  • jessicaml
    12 years ago

I must admit, when you were sampling colors, I really couldn't imagine red in that little room. But it all came together so wonderfully! The valances are elegant, and the red walls with the dark vanity are very rich looking. It ties in nicely with your MBR. Isn't it fun when all the hard work finally pays off? :)

• yayagal
    12 years ago

You did a wonderful job, proud of you!!!

• musicteacher
    12 years ago

I love it too. It goes so well with you bedroom, it hardly looks like a bathroom! Now I'm inspired to do mine!

• busybee3
    12 years ago

looks nice!!

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

It looks wonderful. So nice with the bedroom! As for the shelf, I LOVE the bars of soap in the glass, the picture and basket are nice too. The flower pot leaves something to be desired but I don't know what, lol.

I'd like to see the TP hidden. Do you have any more of the houndstooth fabric? You could make a cute bag out of it and keep the TP in there.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

That really looks fabulous.

Maybe I missed it but did you paint the light fixture? What did you use?

• mpmg46
    12 years ago

It looks great! And your bedroom is lovely as well. We have a newly constructed bathroom with a similar layout. I'm wondering where you keep your hand towel for the sink? I can't find a place to put ours.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy - Thanks! The bars of soap are the smaller sizes (of the 3 pack) so I'm going to get the larger bars to mix in.
    Haha, the plant. Yes he does look a bit sad. That's actually my only live plant in the house because of my cats but they're pretty well behaved and don't mess with the stand. Someone asked me if I wanted it and the poor thing was all but dead at the time. I might go back to a silk one or something else. I don't have anymore of that fabric left but did think about putting the tp in the cabinet where it was before.

Hhireno - I did paint the lights. I used Krylon spray primer and Rustoleum Metallics (pretty sure it's the metallics line) in ORB. I can check later if you want.

Mpmg - Thanks! I don't have a hand towel currently but I'm really sloppy at the sink when getting ready (water splashes, makeup, etc.) so I think I might hang a towel bar/ring beside the vanity for a washcloth.

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

It all looks smashing! Love the red! Now that you've decided to keep that red bedding, how about taking the tag off the right rear corner that's always showing in your photos? It's so much prettier without that distraction, and for some reason that's always the first thing I see......lol! You've created a beautiful bed and bath area!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, sheesharee, for giving me the information. And, LOL, it was exactly what I wanted to read - no pre-prepping cabinet.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Looks marvelous and perfect with your bedroom!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

It turned out beautifully!
    Had you thought of painting the shelf black and hanging the bird pic over the toilet? Maybe unwrap the soap (I love the scent of dove soap!) and mix them up with some hand made soap?

• smiles33
    12 years ago

Gorgeous makeover! I just wanted to add my thanks as well for being so thorough in explaining what you did. It helps to hear the steps (like painting the cabinetry, as we have those same honey oak cabinets!) and see how you made your decisions. Enjoy your new bathroom!

• loribee
    12 years ago

It's warm, it's rich, it's totally Shee! :)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nanny - I know! Right before I took these pics I debated once again about cutting the tag. For some reason I like to see the maker, size, etc. on tags. I even keep some of my makeup in the original boxes, ha.

Walnut - Did you ever try the 123 primer? It's my favorite, favorite, favorite for that reason. :)

Deedee - Those soaps are very pretty. Was that just a random pic you found online? I might do that.

My original thoughts were to paint the shelf black but sometimes I think red and dark colors can look.. I'm going to go with the word harsh. I really like the look of red and white but painting my cabinets white wasn't going to work in here or with the bedroom. Using the white helped break up the dark for me. I do wish I had some stained wood in the room since everything is painted. I'm going to photoshop the stand dark and take a look.

I did consider some type of art for over the toilet but then though it might look cramped and too close to the stand. What do you think? I like that bird print but it doesn't have to be "the one" for the bathroom. I can use it elsewhere I just thought it was a good size for the stand.
    {{gwi:1738934}}

I have these pictures that I really like. I thought about using the bird prints stacked beside the window but I don't want to have a Christmas vibe (red and green) and I don't want to change the mats.
    {{gwi:1619361}}
    {{gwi:1738931}}

I thought about putting something on the wall to the right of the window when you first walk in and leaving the space above the toilet blank. Now that I'm seeing them on a photo I think they're too small for that spot.

I have one of the round pictures in the bedroom on a stand and the other is in the foyer but I'm willing to move them.

The drawing of the bedroom Paintergirl sketched when she was explaining how to paint the nightstand I had considered at one time. I thought it was neat and framed it. Might use it in the bedroom with the red mat but I also thought about changing the mat to possibly gold and using it in the bathroom wall here above the light switches.
    {{gwi:1761380}}

I don't have either of these prints but I'm a big fan of both.
    By Asher Durand
    {{gwi:1761386}}
    {{gwi:1761387}}

I have some other art around here I need to look through.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Yep, the soaps were a random google for hand made soap.
    Now that I see the white shelf up close, it looks whiter and crisper.
    I think the two birds are great little pics. What color are the back of the mats? White maybe? Try flipping the mats over?

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Very nice job on your bathroom! I agree with the suggestion to take the bars of soap out of the boxes tho. Also, I know you think black would be harsh, but I think that shelf would look smashing painted black or to match the color of your bedframe. More of an elegant look to go along with the rest of the bathroom. Really, the bath looks great and blends with all of the beautiful colors in your MBR. The only other suggestion would be that if you have room in the vanity, stash the extra rolls of toilet paper there rather than on the shelf.

Love how the bathroom coordinates so well with the MBR.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

It looks FANTASTIC!!! You did a great job Shee!!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Walnut - Did you ever try the 123 primer? It's my favorite, favorite, favorite for that reason. :)

I have not purchased the primer or used it yet. But, I have kept all of the info you provided and put the 123 primer on my list of things to buy. My back has been bothering me this week, so I have been taking it easy. Hopefully, I can get to it nex week.

Again, thanks for the info.

• whitdobe
    12 years ago

Wow, all your hard work has made a tremendous difference in your bathroom. It looks FABULOUS!!! Well done!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deedee - I'll have to check the back of the mats. I was thinking they'd look better colored since the background is white. ?

Work - I'm curious now so I'm going to paint the stand orb and maybe try some gold Rub N Buff an attempt to achieve the same finish as the bed. If I don't like it, I can always spray paint it back.

I have this box that coordinates with the shower curtain but it's a little too big for the shelf. I've been trying to find a use for it in the bedroom or bath.
    {{gwi:1761388}}

Walnut - I hope your back feels better!

Whitdobe - Did you see my bedroom thread a few weeks ago? I did use the Dromedary Camel and bought the same JCP curtains. They both worked out great!

• PRO
    12 years ago

I like the look of white mats with black/white nature scenes. See if it feels right to you with the birds though.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like that picture and really like black and white drawings in general. I also have a train picture I really dig that's b&w.
    I picked this one up recently. It's nature + moose, lol. Please excuse the gross glass as I haven't wiped it off yet. I don't understand why it's off center but I was going to cut the picture out and mat it. What color I don't know. The background is pretty dingy cream.
    {{gwi:1761391}}
    I don't think the b&w really works with the bird print but that's ok. I'm not opposed to removing it.

• les917
    12 years ago

I think painting the stand either ORB or the color of the vanity makes sense.

Take the houndstooth box, open the top, and set a faux fern plant inside. Looks great on a shelf or a cabinet. If you need to prop the top open, you can use a chopstick stuck in the back of the plant to prop the top open.

Love the red walls, and I am so pleased the rug worked out for you.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

Great job Shee! and I think Les is spot on with the paint and that great houndstooth box.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

That is simply lovely!

That shade of red is beautiful.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Re: the bowl of soaps - I was told that if you remove the wrapper from soap it hardens them and make them last longer. I also use Dove and always open the boxes as they sit & wait their turn on the linen closet shelf. It seems to work, I don't have the bars melt away as fast in the shower.

I suggest you remove them from their boxes but keep them in the bowl. They won't fill the bowl as much so maybe you could add additional ones or handmade ones as deedee suggested.

Thanks for the spray paint info. I have an ugly, cheap looking brass ceiling fan in the laundry room that I want to take a shot at improving instead of replacing.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Les - I like the fern in the box. Just sat it here to take a pic quick but I think I'm going to use it in the bedroom since it doesn't fit on the stand.
    {{gwi:1761393}}

Hhireno - I didn't know that about Dove. Thanks! I'll give it a try.
    Just some info on ORB spray paint: I've tried Krylon Brushed Metallic, Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Metallic Finish, and Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic All - Surface paint in ORB. I like the last one best and that's what I used in here. It actually looks bronze instead of black. It doesn't show that well in photos but IRL it looks true ORB. The Krylon appears almost black. Most people would probably tell you the color was black if you ask them and the Rust-Oleum Bright Coat has an odd sparkle look. For larger projects I'll usually use Kyrlon ORB or black as a base because I have them and they're cheaper. I think the Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic ORB is almost $8 a can.

Confession time! The reason the Dove soap is in the package is because it would bug me to see the soap low and with a container that large, I'd always be filling it. After using a bar of soap my plan was to hot glue the side back together and put the empty package back in the glass jar. *grin*

I painted the stand ORB to match the lights. When I first brought it into the bathroom I didn't really like it at first.

I tried soap in a cloche and on a tall silver tray but neither really worked. I tried a candle on top and moved everything around many times.

I don't care for the color of the gray planter now.
    {{gwi:1761394}}

I like the round picture better with the b&w sketch (remember it will be centered with a mat). The color of the round picture looks rather yucky yellow/green in these photos but doesn't IRL.
    {{gwi:1761396}}

I actually think I like the look of this best. I like the height the urn adds. However, I think adding art to the left of the stand will also look too cramped now.
    {{gwi:1761398}}

I'm not familiar with any Yardley products but I thought the box looked sophisticated, lol. I do like the smell (oatmeal & almond) but haven't tried it. Yeeah, mainly bought it because of the box.
    {{gwi:1761400}}

I'm thinking the round container might get filled with a bunch of Yardley soap boxes or actual soap that's just for decoration.
    {{gwi:1761402}}

Thoughts?

• les917
    12 years ago

The stand looks great! I do like the taller floral piece on the top shelf - it balances the height of the window and shower curtain.

No art to the left of the stand, but a stacked set of plates with pheasants on them would be great over the toilet.

Soaps in glass containers need to be out of the boxes, imo to be pretty. But unwrapped soaps tend to leave marks on the glass as you take them out or move them around. I would rather see that bowl filled with some pretty pot pourri in the colors of the bath that you could refresh periodically with fragrance oils.

I think the fern is good in the box - I might try putting a small bowl or plastic storage bowl under the plant, turned upside down, to raise it up just a bit in the box, pulled forward a bit to drape more over the edges. If it is not in a container, but just a plant on a single stem, them perhaps stick a block of styrofoam or floral foam in there to raise it up and forward just a bit. Then fluff and you are all set. Also, if you like, you could buy a package of pheasant feathers at the local craft store and tuck three or five of them in among the fern, but more into the center area. Or, a couple of stems of rusty red small berries would be pretty, too.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have this pheasant plate but only one. The brown toile would tie in with the pitcher that holds my makeup brushes. I'll check ebay. Do you think they should be the same size or mix in a platter or smaller plate?
    {{gwi:1761404}}

I'll boost the fern up. I used three picks above. Since I have the pheasant feathers in the urn in the bathroom I think I'll try the berries in the fern. I'm pretty sure I have some.

• PRO
    12 years ago

The shelves look great in the darker finish! Wow are you fast!

On a silly note....I have 5 brothers and they call me moose.
    Neat picture!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dee - Thanks! Whoa, 5 brothers! :)

Les you're awesome. Here's the jar filled with potpourri. This was the only kind I had that wasn't too fall or Christmasy. I like the texture and think it works better.
    {{gwi:1761406}}

The berries I have say Christmas so I stuffed a few feathers in. I fluffed until I wanted to throw the ferns across the room. :) It's still not to my liking but I'll get it later.
    {{gwi:1761407}}

• les917
    12 years ago

LOL, Shee. I think the fern looks much better, and I like the touch of the pheasant feathers. Keep your eyes open as the fall berry stems come out about now at the craft stores to find some that are rustier red in color, matte finish rather than shiny would be good, too. I think (after all the frustrated fluffing) that I might lower the plant just a bit, but it also works as it is.

Like the pot pourri in the bowl.

The pheasant plate is good. You could have a second one the same size, hang them one over the other. Then, as an interesting touch, hang an empty, detailed picture frame around both plates. It is a cool look, imo.

Or, you could find another piece that has the same colors and a pheasant theme, perhaps an oval or rectangular platter, and hang that above or below the plate, depending on which way appeals to you.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Les - Ha, I think it's a wee bit fluffy too since you can't really see the top of the box anymore. I couldn't get the leaves to hang right in the front, they didn't want to bend, and I was left with a big gap underneath.

OOOo.. I like the idea of the empty pic frame. I noticed I now have a lot of circles going on in that area. I remember seeing on Savvysouthernstyle's blog how she put a frame over two plates. It's something different in a good way.

I wanted to mention earlier... DH comes home today and I told him to check out the bathroom because I changed some things. There was silence and you could see it all over his face he was really trying to figure out what was different. He finally says,"you painted the door...?" :)

• les917
    12 years ago

Your poor DH- I can just see his face. At least he tried to figure it out. :-)

• hhireno
    12 years ago

RE: your DH's response...hahahaha, that made me laugh. My DH's response is usually "I hate this game" because he rarely notices what has been changed.

We had the same bug treatment guy for years, two outside treatments and once a year in the house. He comes into the house and immediately said "wow, new dining room furniture, it looks great." That floored me. My DH might not have noticed if he hadn't paid the bill for it but here's a guy that comes into my house once a year and noticed. I wonder if he's that observant at his own house?

The painted shelf looks great. I cannot believe you already have it painted! I'm still in the thinking about painting the fan stage and you are bing-bam done.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha, DH's are funny aren't they? :)

What do you think of this plate? It's 9" diameter.
    {{gwi:1761408}}

This other one from above is 10". Here it is again so you don't have to scroll up. I don'�t have to use this one.
    {{gwi:1761404}}

I'm not finding much that I like. I was also looking at brown transferware and tole trays but wasn't finding anything there either.

Here's a mock up showing two 10" plates. Pretend the top one is 9".
    {{gwi:1761410}}
    {{gwi:1655543}}
    I don't think there's enough room to frame out the plates.

Jill...where are you? I picked your red! lol

• les917
    12 years ago

Seeing the head-on view, I am thinking that multiple plates or any collection of items will compete with the stack of the shelves that are so close. You are probably better with one single piece of landscape art as you showed earlier in the thread. Remember, tho, that you aren't going to center over the toilet tank, but rather center the one large piece in the wall space between the edge of the shelf and the edge of the countertop.

Then, take the pheasant plate that you have and hang it low over the nightstand on the right side of the bed, to the right of the little lamp that is there. :-)

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm.. you really think something needs to be there? I agree it's too cramped with the stand to be centered but I figured it needed to be centered with the toilet to look right.

Ha, I know those lamps aren't the right scale. I'm not really sure what to get though because of the height of the bed. I was also debating about placing art somewhere near the nightstands because I do like the look.

• User
    12 years ago

Hi Shee! I'm here. Better late than never! It's my son's baseball season and that makes for a very busy life. Just back from a tournament at Ripken in Maryland over the weekend. Fun, fun.

I LOVE it!!!! It looks fantastic. Of course, I am partial to BM MR, but still, I think it was the perfect choice!

I also think the shelf looks so much better painted dark.

The shot of the bathroom looking into the bedroom is sheer perfection! You did good!

OK, what's next?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

*waving* Hey, there you are!

I'm really loving this color. It's a rich, warm, velvety brick red.

Next? I never did finish repainting my stairs so that's going to happen tomorrow. I have picture ledges I really want finished (made them) and get on the wall so hopefully that will happen in the next few weeks. I have a bunch of stuff to do at my sisters so I'll be busy with that. Once her kitchen is done I'll post some before and afters.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Gosh, how ever did I miss this thread! Sheesh your bathroom looks awesome! I love every detail.

Not sure if your hubby plants his hand on the wall at night when he gets up to "pee" but if so you might want to rethink the plates on the wall above the potty.

• alex9179
    12 years ago

Oh My, what a gorgeous color! I love what you've done, especially the valance and color tie-in. They bring out the best in each other. If you'd like to place art over the toilet, ahem :) I love the two oval framed prints together. I think they reference the vibe you've achieved with your bedroom. And, well, I love them anyway!

Your pheasant and quail plates are wonderful, too, but I can see them used in multiple places so I'd let them float depending on your mood or season.

Really pretty! I'm glad I checked in today!

• sis2two
    12 years ago

Your bathroom looks so pretty and I love the red color and the darker cabinets. You did a great job on both your bathroom and bedroom!

• boystown
    12 years ago

Your bathroom looks amazing---great job and your touches are great. Would you kind telling me what finish you used when you painted your vanity?? (satin, semi gloss or glossy) and did you use a poly on top? I want to paint mine as it is looking pretty shabby. Thanks

• gmp3
    12 years ago

I had to go back three times to figure out you didn't change the vanity top, it looks kind of boring and builderish with the oak cabinets and so upscale with the cabinet painted darker! Amazing transformation. I marvel at how much I like this little makeover more than some of the 20K baths.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry I'm just now seeing this!

Gagesgranny - I used SW All Surface Enamel latex paint in SW Woodsy Brown. The finish is super high gloss. I really like it.

Gmp3 - Ha, yeah the vanity top is still the same white with gray streaks. I wish it were just white. For a loooong time I didn't know what to do with this bathroom because of the floor and counter. It took long enough but I'm very happy with it.

Thanks again everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: SW paint

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Hiya sheesh, can't believe I missed this posting! It looks really nice, great job.

I've been working on our upstairs hall bath and I am just doing a couple of tweeks before the "reveal".

Have you looked for pretty soaps at TJMaxx? I am now totally hooked on them. They even organize them by color! I've been buying them to put in glass jars in the bathrooms. They are wrapped in gorgeous papers, and as long as you have some sort of common color, they all look great mixed together.

You could also consider a bowl with some natural sea sponges, that would look pretty too.

Glass jar filled with cotton balls looks kind of fun too.

Great job!
    -bee

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH