SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrienations

Updating "dated" bathroom / contractor pressure

carrienations
6 years ago

::sigh::

I'm in the process of fixing up a 1957 condo that came with many of the original finishes, including built-in cabinets, cute accordion closet doors, light fixtures, and some lovely cinnamon-colored wall tile in the master bath. I say "lovely" facetiously, as I had every intention of ripping it out and replacing it when I first bought the place. Now, after 3 or so years, it's kind of grown on me, and I'm looking for ways to decorate around it with new flooring, paint and perhaps some accent wallpaper (I use it for the bathtub only, not the shower. While the brown tile is not a contemporary look in the least, I feel it matches the personality of the apartment, and it's in near-mint condition. Also, I don't want to spend $10,000. Heh.

Every realtor and contractor I've talked to has pressured me to scrap it all and start over. "No one will want this," they say. My feeling: what a shame to tear out perfectly good, original tile just to make way for the trends of the moment--the stark, white-on-white look that Pinterest loves (hello white subway tile and white or black hex floors), or the "stone finish" (travertine and its ilk) look that is more at home in a suburban McMansion or mountain lodge than a mid-century modern apartment in the middle of the city. Nothing against those looks, it just doesn't suit my home.

Just today, a contractor came in to give me an estimate to retile the floor He lamented my choice as "drab and dated," and proceeded to show me a catalog filled with 12x12 natural stone tile. DO. NOT. WANT.

So, part one of this post--anyone else ever get frustrated by these design professionals steering their choices in a generic direction and discouraging personal style? How do you handle this situation?

And part two: pics! Here's how it stands right now, with putrid linoleum that will be coming up ASAP. I will paint the walls and vanity, get a new shower curtain and change up a few fixtures to make it look a bit more polished. The bathtub, formerly harvest yellow, was recently reglazed white.

View from bedroom:

So to achieve a classic, understated mid-century modern look, what do you think about this 2" mosaic tile from Daltile? I think the warm gray complements the brown/tan tile.

Would I be better off going with white? Some other color? I want to stay in the neutral realm, so no blues or greens or anything like that. I'm also considering this same color in 1" mosaic or 2x1 rectangular stack bond pattern. For reference, these are Daltile Keystones.

In my mind, it'll look something like this:

Or like this (smaller tile, same pattern):

Thoughts? Watch-outs? Tile size/shape preferences or concerns? Should I truly let the original tile go and start from scratch (NOT preferred!). This bathroom has been a real design conundrum from day one, but I'm determined to make it look good, "dated" brown tile and all.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate your advice!

Comments (15)