SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
columbiascgw

Where do you find inspiration?

columbiasc
12 years ago

Although I have been enamored with smaller homes for as long as I can remember, I simply can't see myself living in a Tiny Home. By Tiny I mean less than 200 square feet. Some may find these design studies adequate but even as a lone dweller, I need a little more space. Space for an overnight guest or two, space for a reasonable, four season wardrobe, space for the outdoors gear I prefer to store indoors when not in use.

I will eventually build my own little piece of paradise but until then, I would like to see more examples of smaller homes, not tiny homes. Although it mostly featured apartments, not single family detached homes, the HGTV series Small Space Big Style was a great program that was not renewed and so far I haven't found anything similar. I have searched for Blogs and can find many based on Tiny Home living but I can't find any Blogs featuring more appropriately sized, free standing homes of say 500 square feet to maybe 1,000.

I have been through everything my Public Library has available on the topic so re-reading those is simply re-reading. Without seeing the finished product I asked for and received Lloyd Kahn's latest book, Tiny Homes - Simple Shelter for my birthday and was terribly disappointed. I was hoping for some interesting eye candy and design suggestions but found it somewhere between a rehash of things I have already seen in other publications and third world hovels.

I sometimes drop by our "Other Public Library", also known as Barnes & Noble, and flip through the magazine Dwell but find the homes they typically feature to be much more modern and too sterile for my taste. Not to mention the featured homes are typically very expensive and mostly pre-fab.

So other than this forum, where do you go to satisfy your small home cravings?

Scott

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor