SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alwaysfixin_gw

Kevin & Others -Granite Fabr for counter-height window?

alwaysfixin
13 years ago

I have read the several wonderful threads on this forum about counter-height windows, like this one and the linked threads within it. Here's the background: We will be having an undermounted sink in the corner where two windows meet at right angles. The windows are double-hung, and we do not have the budget to replace them or do a bump-out. We are OK with having to reach across the counter to raise/lower the double-hung windows.

We are planning on having the 3 cm granite counter meet the bottom trim (rail) of the window. It will replace the existing wood sill, but the window's rail will remain intact (like Buehl's, Mamadadapaige's, gglks' and fran1523's in this thread, except ours are double-hung windows). We've measured and re-measured, accounting for the floor, cabinets, and counter; the height of the window is perfect.

The question is the skill needed (or maybe it's not difficult?) of fabricating the granite to be the sill. After reading all the threads, I don't see any mention of difficulty scribing the granite to meet the window, but to my eye it seems it would be hard for the granite to cut around the window casings. Kevin (or anyone), can you tell me what I need to look for in a granite fabricator to ensure he has the skill for this job? Will the fabricator charge more for this? What is involved? The rest of the countertops is straightforward. TIA.

Comments (3)