SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
true_panacea

How to motivate my husband to discipline his kids

true_panacea
16 years ago

I have been married for 2 years now. I brought to the marriage 5 kids (now 21, 15, 12, 11, & 6) and he brought 3 (ages 8 & 10 & 18). The youngest 6 still live at home. When we met, his girls were 5 and 7, I knew they were a little behind developmentally, but they were small for their ages (his 8 year old and my 6 year old are the same height and have been consistently) and somehow it was not as glaring as it has become at ages 8 and 10.

I try to maintain a good attitude about it, because I know they did not create this situation, but it is increasingly challenging. I try very hard to have conversations with them about why it is important to clear your own plate, why it shows people we care about them when we don't make them pick up our trash, etc. Both my husband and his ex-wife counter act this by babying them, cutting thier food, tying their shoes, cleaning their rooms, pouring their milk, clearing their plates for them.

They don't eat right (bread, pasta, cheese & candy only), because they are not made to...they complete no chores, because they are not made to, they are behind in school because that would require work and they don't do work(literally might be held back), throw their garbage on the ground (and when my kids indignantly asked them to pick it up one of them refused stating "someone will pick it up for me")

When I try to impose my rules, meals, and values, I am a big meanie. I, right out of the gate, refused to cook separate meals for them, but often their dad will allow them to have snacks before and after the meal...which negates the need for them to eat the meal or try new foods. I finally lost it one day and said "she is 8, don't you dare cut her food!" It was pancakes...I think she could handle it, right?

My kids are frustrated, I am frustrated. I am losing ground with my own kids, who before had always been fine with keeping up with their chores...now they say "its not fair that not only do "they" (the girls) don't do their chores (with no consequence), but we have to pick up after them too! I can't blame them, it is creating major chaos in my previously orderly environment.

Whenever I find yet another mess or destroyed thing, I ask for someone to step up and they will lie to the bitter end. Unfortunately my husband will also defend them to the bitter end. I recently pulled 13 peices of chewed gum out from under the couch. 13! It boggles the mind, doesn't it? There was only one kid who even had gum. I knew she did it...but she denied it vehemently. My husband defended her and said it had to be the big kids. I finally had it...I got all CSI on them and literally matched up teeth prints in the gum to find the culprit. Once it was so ridiculously obvious that it was her...she confessed and threw this very bizarre tantrum. Her dad said "I am very disappointed in you". That and then some over the top cuddling to soothe her from her wacky tantrum was the extend of her punishment. If that was my kid...I would have punished her with a very large cleaning project involving toilets and a very small brush...and a caracter building 2 page essay writing assignment about why it is wrong to lie.

I feel terrible to feel so disgruntled over these little girls. They can't help that they have not been raised right. Sometimes I just look at them and see little squishy globs of do-nothing and I want to scream. That is terrible I know...I pray alot for god to give me another mindset...but it hasn't been answered yet.

I surmise that part of it is that their mom left them when they were 2 & 4 and I think that both of them are trying to "make up" for their bad situation by being overly permissive and not disciplining them. The girls are with us Friday-Monday every week. So they are there during all of our family time which is essentially every weekend. There is no communication between their mother and I. I am not certain why, if my kids were going to some other womans house to be cared for 4 days a week, I would open lines of communication. She has limited communication with their Dad mainly related to schedule changes. He picks them up and drops them at school.

Are my kids perfect?...No way. I take responsibility for their proper care and development by disciplining them when they do wrong and teach them to be productive members of society. My 21 year old is in college, working full time as a grocery department Manager for the past 3 years, and has an outstanding work ethic, she can be counted on, is never late and is considerate of others. I can say that based on that, my strict but loving methods do work.

What is the solution here to keep me from completely losing my marbles? I love my husband...I love our life, our family...but I find myself feeling increasingly unsatisfied with the situation with my step daughters. I would just love it if just once...he followed through with one of his "your going to be in big trouble" threats...because so far his "big trouble" is tickles giggles and a kiss goodnight for his precious little girls. I want to get in that kindof big trouble...shoot sounds like a fun party!

Comments (27)