SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Hallway frustration- Looked good on color cards!

mmqchdygg
14 years ago

Will post pic later, but suffice it to say that I was in the store, and picked out a medium shade of beige for the bottom, a lighter shade of beige- essentially a matching cream-color- for the top, and decided that cranberry would be a lovely accent for the trim and chair-rail.

Yah, right. The beige parts are gorgeous. Then I started painting the trim. Course, you can't tell with one coat because cranberry over white just looks like a bloody massacre until you make it nice & pretty with additional coats & clean it up, so I opted to just keep going with the cranberry, and then did the second coat.

Well, it still looks absolutely horrendous. This hallway has been the bane of my existence since we built the house. I'd say it's been at least 5 colors ranging from mis-tint bathroom green-blue-from-the-70s (OMG what WAS I thinking?!) to crayon blue on the bottom, plum on top, and a dark green trim (not bad...if you were doing a makeover for a kindy-garten!) to this new combination that I actually paid full price for! It's frustrating to say the least, and I know now that the trim is the issue (gee, you think?)

Would you simply go with a shade of beige somewhere between the cream & med-beige that are already there for the trim? Is that the best combination? Seems that anything darker would look "outlined" and that's the issue. The cranberry/bloody-massacre "outline" of the hallway.

Comments (3)