SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostonpam_gw

Need ideas on built in cabinet in nook

bostonpam
13 years ago

Well, there is light at the end of the tunnel and now I'm starting to think about the minor things (floors will be refinished in a 12 days). Between the kitchen and the table there is a doorway. You step into this area and to the right is a half bath with a 5 panel fir door and to the left is the walk in pantry (without door). Right in you face there's a little alcove that is 80" high to bottom of window trim, 37 1/4" wide and 13 3/4" deep (to end of the wall) and 9.5" deep to bathroom door trim.

I would like to put in a shallow cabinet here. Basically my husband would build some shelves and we then build the front of the cabinet around it. I thought glass doors on top and solid doors on bottom. I could get an estimate for buying the extra doors from our cabinet manufacturer. We have an extra panel from the back of the island and some extra trim so we could use that wood to "finish it". This would be in cherry like the kitchen.

Probably a cheaper solution would be to buy online from Scherrs oak or fir doors and finish them myself. I could also go less expensive wood and paint it. Our built in bench will probably be painted a similar color as our range. What are your ideas? I'm open for suggestions.

With many of our elements (lights, trim, wood, tile, etc.) I'm going for a 1910's look. The original house was built in 1825 but the kitchen addition was later and the last major renovation was 1910's. The pantry will be natural wood in either oak or fir. This was very popular for the era in our area. I'm going for the look of our present 1910's pantry (but not painted - it was natural at one time). I won't have drawers - just doors in the pantry. (100"L x 47.5" W). I will have cabinets on 2 sides and very high shelf on the 3rd side. Money is getting tight on this point. Trim around doors will be painted white and the kitchen will be yellow.

Here's an early rendition of my kitchen. The cabinets and the shape are about right but almost everything moved - the large sink and 2 DW swapped with the range, prep sink moved, bookshelves moved, etc. Because of a support beam we broke up the pantry and put in the alcove. That new wall is in the shaded area with dashed lines (shaded area is the bump our for the kitchen)

View of nook from kitchen

another view - nook on right

View of pantry from half bath

present pantry

Comments (10)