SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dilettante_gw

Best metallic paints & colors for re-doing lamps?

dilettante_gw
13 years ago

I posted this in the Paint forum last week and didn't attract any interest, so I decided to try here.

I have two metal floor lamps that I'm planning to re-paint with a metallic finish. Both are made of steel and have a small amount of rust. The lamps aren't valuable, but they have nice shapes. One is a vintage lamp, probably from the '40's, that has a fluted column and an ornate base, and the other is more modern. If it weren't for the rust, I'd leave them as is, but I really have to do something to make them presentable.

I thought I'd paint the older one a mid-tone bronze (not ORB) and the modern one a satin nickel. I was thinking of using a spray paint but I don't mind using a brush-on. Is there a preferred brand for metallic paint? The stores around here carry Krylon and Rust-oleum. Both companies have several lines of metallic paints, which I find very confusing. I called Rustoleum and the person I spoke to wasn't at all helpful in sorting them out.

Any recommendations for specific paint colors? The color choices are completely different in the various lines. Somehow I don't trust the accuracy of the colors on the plastic caps on the paint cans, and neither the Krylon nor the Rust-oleum site has real-life photos of their metallic paints.

For the vintage lamp, I was thinking of using one of the following:

* Rust-oleum American Accents "Classic Bronze"

* Rust-oleum Metallic "Burnished Brass"

* Krylon Premium "Gilded Brass"

and for the modern lamp:

* Rustoleum American Accents Designer Metallic "Satin Nickel"

* Rustoleum Stops Rust Metallic "Matte Nickel"

* Krylon Premium Metallic "Sterling Silver"

* Krylon Brushed Metallic "Satin Nickel"

Has anyone here used any of these colors? How did they turn out?

Finally, what primer should I use? I'm not really changing the orginal colors of the lamps, but I have to do something about the rust. Should I use a black or dark primer for the bronze lamp?

Thanks!

Comments (26)