SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazybusytoo

Pal Strikes Again

crazybusytoo
9 years ago

I find that almost everything Pal posts is either very thought provoking and/or instructive. His perspective is so interesting.

The latest is the "Behind a charming exterior" thread. Somehow I find that particular interior so compelling, and I keep going back to look again. So much love, pride, and presumably enjoyment. Now it's a houseful of furniture that no one wants, and is subject to derision.

Maybe what is striking is the "commitment" that Pal noted. 50 years ago everything was custom, and every purchase a thoughtful one. In this instance, the entire home was a unified effort. Later, it wasn't as though she could just drop (for lack of a better example) a Pottery Barn sofa into the living room.

Is it inevitable (if you are lucky enough) to end up with a house full of furniture that even goodwill doesn't want?

Is it better to start liquidating to make it easier for others, or stay surrounded by that which you love?

Will ready-made and mass production dictate a sort of prevailing school of thought to which all good interior design should adhere? Or has it always been that way?

And ultimately, who is the arbiter of good taste?

Here is a link that might be useful: Behind a charming exterior...

Comments (29)