SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharpleft

"Sweet Scarlet goumi": the discount plant nursery strikes again

Orchard Novice, zone 7b
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Several years ago I planted that permaculturist's darling, the goumi berry. It's called Sweet Scarlet. Although i think Sour Scarlet would be a better description I still like it.
They arrived as 3 very small plants from the discount plant ppl in Illinois. They are supposed to be all the same cultivar.They are growing well even tho I have had to fight the voles for them a little around the roots. For the record I like them as part of a fruiting hedge. They make so many berries the birds cant get them all. They are tough. The most curious thing to me is the different habits of the plant. One has grown a lot faster, like twice as big, and fruited sooner. I figured it was bc it is in a slightly sunnier spot. Now that the other two smaller plants are fruiting well I see they have larger fruits. The big one has single round fruits. The small ones have 2 or 3 or even 4 lobed fruits. Not nearly as loaded with them tho. I've never had plants with this kind of variability before. It's pretty neat. But it makes me think some of my plants are not clones like you would expect with a named variety. I took a pic but I don't see an option to post it here.Liking these, I bought a different Named Variety from somewhere else. Looking forward to seeing what it does next year!

Comment (1)