SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynfromontario

Lets talk Featherweight

13 years ago

A few years ago my SIL's grandmother passed away and cleaning out the house so it could be sold fell into the hands of her daughter....my SIL's mother. My daughter went over to lend a hand and came home very upset with tails of all of Grams belongings being thrown out onto her big back deck to make it easier to load it all into an industrial bin that was to be delivered the next day. I am a collector of anything Singer. I love antique sewing machines especially and have a sizable herd of them that I've been collecting since I was a teenager. When my daughter said that she even thought that there was an old sewing machine in the pile I knew that I had to get over there before everything was lost to the garbage bin. My daughter offered to go over with me and immediately pointed to a small black carrying case that she thought may have a sewing machine in it because when she picked it up it felt heavy. Up until then I hadn't heard of a Featherweight but when I saw the word Singer when I opened the case I could have jumped for joy right then and there. I since have come to realize how valuable these wonderful little machines are and how desirable they are to quilters. I sew for my grandchildren now but these days I prefer my computerized machines over the older models. They make threading a needle and making button holes so much easier but recently I pulled the Featherweight out to have a good look at it. What I found made me very happy. It is in excellent condition and sews well even though it's in dire need of a good cleaning and oiling, which I'll do in the next few days. I did a search on the internet to see if I could find out exactly what it is that I have in the way of model and I'm wondering if anyone with more knowledge about these machines can tell me how I can tell when my little beauty came off the production line. I know that it was made in Quebec here in Canada and am I right in assuming that it is a 221 model because it's not a freearm? A quick look with eyes that are starting to wear out didn't turn up a serial number like I easily find on my other older Singer models. We are getting close to retirement and will be moving to a much smaller home and I know that the herd will have to be thinned out but at this point I'm not sure that the Featherweight will be one that I will be selling. I read a post on this forum from 2006 that stated that Singer used to destroy old machines that were used as trade ins and thought that was a terrible shame when it came to this little machine.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions