SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn214_gw

First sewing project-questions about lining curtains

jenn214
15 years ago

Hi; I'm new to the forum, and to sewing - I do all kinds of crafts, but this is my first sewing project ever (other than a pillow in the 7th grade). The saleswomen at JoAnn's Fabric were really unfriendly and scared me away, so I'm hoping you can help me with some really basic questions.

I have some wonderful vintage fabric that I want to use to make kitchen curtains. Because of the type of windows we have, I'm really just making rectangular panels for each window; I have antique flower tiebacks that I will use to actually pin the panels in the window frame. So no curtain rod, no tabs, nothing, just lined panels - should be a good first project for me. So here are my questions:

1) When buying lining, should I buy off-white since my fabric has an off-white background? Or should the lining (that faces the street) always be bright white? The exterior of our house, and the window trim, are bright white, so that might look better from the street.

2) The sun at mid-morning is really strong, so I would like to use something to block the light. I also think that would help protect my vintage fabric from fading. Do I buy blackout lining and then sandwich it in-between the vintage fabric and the lining, so I'm sewing all 3 layers together at once? Or does the blackout lining serve as the only lining, so I'm sewing together only 2 fabrics?

3) When using blackout lining, I saw a bunch of different kinds. Is there anything in particular I need to look for, or are there types that will be easier/more difficult to work with?

I think that's it - I have a bunch of scraps so I'll do lots of practicing first, and I've already washed the fabric with a special vintage wash, so I think I'll be ready to go once I have my lining. Thanks so much for helping a newbie!

Comments (6)