SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Parking Issues?

User
13 years ago

Nowhere have I found a discussion of how we accommodate the vehicles which we use every day, or maybe just weekends, vacations, or when traveling.

Has anyone changed their car to a smaller one because a big hulking machine seems to dwarf your space? If you have two cars, or more, are they kept in a garage, under a carport, in the driveway, or on the street?

Do you have a utility trailer you pull out when buying appliances or hauling plants or trash to the dump? Where is it parked when not needed?

Do you have a motor home or a travel trailer that sits somewhere in your yard blocking the view and use of your yard, yet you have to keep it secure and plugged into a power source? Do you have it in the open or covered up?

And, could it be used for those extra guests who show up for an extended stay?

Is there also a work vehicle, like a business delivery truck, or a company vehicle you bring home every night? And how about the teenagers with motor bikes, or your own motorcycle, is it in the garage, or like one person I heard about who parked his beloved bike inside the living room and took it outside through the French doors? (Bet it was not a Harley with oil on the floor)...

And I haven't even begun with the boats. How about one on a trailer? Or a canoe or kayak which is hung from overhead in the garage, or on a back wall outside the garage?

We invest a lot of money in these machines or joy rides, and so we need to find a way to protect them, without having them take over our whole lives. So tell me, have you said NO to a boat because you don't want to see it when you open your front door, or look out your kitchen window?

Just curious. And here is why.

I am thinking of what car to get that will NOT take up a lot of space in my driveway. And I know DH was thinking about a VAN in case we continue driving 1500 miles one way from Alabama to Massachusetts, and he likes his comfort while I like to do the driving. But I don't want to see a big honking van all year round in the way of garden views. Also, I have a canoe hanging inside our Garden shed from the rafters. I might move it into the Teahouse, just so I can see it and think about paddling around on the bayou. And I have a derelict (note I appear to like derelict things?) pirogue (flat bottomed double ended skiff) that I adore, and will end up painting PINK and using upside down as a garden seat outdoors by the banana trees.

So that's it for now. How do you deal with the transport equipment around YOUR home?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths