SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillvictoria_gw

DH wants SD to live with us - Yikes!

JillVictoria
21 years ago

My dh and I have been married for almost six years, he has a 13 yo daughter from a previous relationship. She lives with his parents because he got custody of her approx. 7 years ago. Both he and his parents don't "approve" of the way her mother raised/responds to her. Her mom is somewhat of a lazy woman, doesn't expend much effort raising her daughter, she doesn't seem to care a whole lot. DSD has been living with DH's parents for 5 years now (she lived with us for 2 years before she went to his parents - which was very stressful on me, I felt ignored, left-out by my DH - he had few boundaries when it came to her). She went to live with his parents because my DH became involved with drinking/drugs and was really messing things up! He began "partying" right after we got married. I was very upset at that time (as you can imagine) and I separated from him and packed his daughter up and brought her to DH's parents. He continued to "party" until 5 months ago. He is now in recovery and doing great. No drinking, no drugs. He's like his old self again - even better. Seems to have a real sense of himself, is patient and available to me and that's great. Unless you have dealt with a drinking or drugging spouse, you have no idea the pain and anguish I have endured. I sustained emotional, financial and spiritual losses. Now, we are finally on the right track - finally! Our life is full of hope. But now, just when we are at the beginning of putting our marriage back together, re-building everything that we lost, he is insistent that his daughter come live with us. I am so not with it! Not only do we need to have this time to re-build, re-establish, re-connect, etc., and not only does someone so new to recovery not need the added stress of having his daughter with us 24/7, but I have serious jealousy issues regarding his relationship with her. I have had to share this man, unwillingly, with drinking/drugging for the past 5+ years, and don't want to continue to sharing him with anyone or anything. At least not under my own roof! When she is with us, the relationship is very triangulated and I resent the affection he shows her (because he is not very affectionate with me), resent her taking my spot (be it on the couch, next to him at dinner, during conversations), feel as if I cannot "be myself" around her because I feel very vulnerable due to the recent past and don't feel comfortable or able to express that vulnerability in front of the watchful eyes of a 13 year old. I don't feel my DH and I can do the work necessary with her living with us. I think he needs to get in touch with her mom and talk with her about what he wants for his daughter. If he wants to be more involved with her, that's great - but she doesn't need to live with us in order for him to be a loving, caring, involved parent.

He is being very insistent about this and it is threatening our marriage (yet another threat to our marriage!). I am adamant that I cannot live a compromised life with him (as I had already done that when he was using drugs and unwilling to do it any longer). We are at an impasse. Any opinions on any of this?

Comments (20)