SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ronnie1117

Help...13 yr old 'SD' is tearing us up

ronnie1117
15 years ago

I have been with my SO for 8 1/2 yrs and we have 5 kids between us, 4 boys (19-22, 2 mine & 2 his) and 1 girl (13, his). The problem is with my "SD". We were very close until she turned 10, then problems started. The lies and "I'm gonna tell Dad you hit me and told me to shut up" and constant badgering from this rude, disrespectful, and just plain miserable, girl. The kids run the roost at their mothers, her father has very few rules and really doesn't dish out any punishment. He figures "they are only here a couple of days and I don't want to spend that time fighting", which I don't want either, but that's the way it is anyway. She comes to our house every 2 weeks and always manipulates Dad into "just 1 more day" (sometimes 2), missing school. When she visits she basically takes over the house. She makes me so uncomfortable and like I'm invisible to even sit in the living room with her & Dad, when there's room - she sleeps on the couch with Dad (it's a very big couch) and stretches out so no one else can sit on it. When she does talk to me it is things that she knows will irritate me and potentially start a fight. I try to "let it go" and ignore it, as Dad has suggested, but she doesn't let up a I get angrier and angrier until I'm shaking...and I end up responding, which makes a rift between me and SO. She says things to deliberatly hurt me. She was living with us last year (Feb to April) and after 3 months Dad had finally had enough and sent her back to her mothers. SD informs me that "if I have to leave, you have to leave too, Dad said so". Well, I'm still here and she's still at Moms (I do not rub this in her face). Sometimes SO and I fight for 2 days before she comes and for up to a week after she leaves, because of my "childish behaviour"...basically cause I respond and am tired of her mouth. He spoils her like there's no tomorrow...he bought her an $850 dog in July (after not attending school for months at a time last year and being sent back to her mothers cause of her behaviour). I feel like I'm not even here when she visits. I've tried being nice, doing things with her, ignoring her, not being around or in the same room...nothing works. She is disrespectful and rude and thinks she knows it all. SO has realized that she can be a mouthy little brat, but then an hour after she's sent to her room everythings roses between them again...and the episode is forgotten. When I respond I'm in the dog house for days! I don't want to, and shouldn't have to, leave my home when she visits, but I don't even want to be around her any more She walks in the house and up spikes the tension. 9 out of 10 times when my SO and I fight, it's because of her.

I'm at the end of my rope, my SO thinks I have alot of issues and is talking to our doctor about counselling for just the 2 of us though, not his daughter. I'm sorry this is long, and this is only the tip of the iceberg. I'm on the verge of leaving, and I've told SO that, but he thinks "we're lifers" so he doesn't seem concerned. I did leave once before, when his oldest son was living with us and disrespecting us and our home, obviously I came back-dumb?.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!