SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

Why does my sewing machine do this?

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

I'm a college student, so I don't have a lot of money. I bought a Brother sewing machine at the Goodwill for 10 dollars. I think is is model XV-857 or something of the like. I know that "good" machines have drop in bobbins and one step button holers (that's what I was taught when I sold them for sears anyway), so mine is slightly below middle of the road. Has ziz zag and a 4 step bottonholer, vertical bobbin. Looks like from early 90's by the styling. The needle position, stitch length, and width controls are black slides on the front face of the machine. The stitch selector is very odd... a round dial where the part you turn moves independently from the outer rim, yet simultaneously! Anyway, it sews perfect... I oiled it and threaded it and the light even works. Christmas pillows, here I come! One problem is that the flatbed part kept falling off, but a slap of velcro fixed that. The problem I am writing about is winding the bobbin. It does this unevenly. It winds one side (the bottom) fuller than the other. I tried to intervene and guide it with my hands, but that made matters worse. Any suggestions on why it is doing this, and how to fix it? Thanks!

Comment (1)