SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreak100_gw

Another new one asking for some help with layout

andreak100
11 years ago

Hi all! I'm pretty new here still, but have been reading like crazy and have gathered a lot of great info so far, so a big "Thank you" to all of you who have helped me without even knowing it!

I'm not sure how much detail to go into here, so I'll start with a few basics. Current kitchen is circa 1970 with a few 2010-2011 appliances that have gone in. The new-ish appliances will stay as they were bought knowing they would make the transition into the remodeled kitchen.

Our house was built in the 1950s with a kitchen and dining room. We will be opening things up by taking the wall out between the two rooms. We know that we have some water pipes that are currently running in the wall to be removed, and we have planned for them to go up in a small bump out (2") behind the induction cooktop and hood.

Our opened up room dimensions are 12'9"x20'5". I feel that an island is rather important to give me the countertop workspace that I'm sorely lacking, so while my aisles are a bit more on the narrow side, I think that will be okay. I am typically the only one cooking (my DH will sometimes heat something in the microwave, but that's about it, and it's only if I'm not around.) and we are a two-person family.

I know that everyone here is a huge advocate of prep sinks, but due to expense (I estimate this to wind up being approximately $1500 additional by the time we figure sink, granite cutout, faucet, pipes, and labor) AND space, we will probably pass on that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (16)