Rating the Suppliers
21 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (10)
- 21 years ago
- 21 years ago
Related Discussions
Buying 2 year old Asparagus Crowns
Comments (9)I've heard that it's best to start with 1 yo crowns. The reasons are outlined in the link I found below. Here's an excerpt; "Starting asparagus plantings with one-year-old crowns is still the easiest and most popular method used by Eastern and Midwestern U.S. growers. Research has shown that using one-year-old crowns is more economical and higher yielding than using two- and three-year-old crowns. Two-year-old crowns appear to suffer greater transplant shock. Weak crowns have been shown to yield less than plants established from vigorous crowns. Often, two-year-old crowns are weak crowns grown an additional year to obtain additional size." You know, you'll be surprised at how quickly that time will pass and you'll soon be eating the most wonderful asparagus that you can imagine. Besides....2 yo old crowns cost quite a bit more. So just by a few extra crowns and harvest those after the 1st year. If you have the temporary space to spare, it wouldn't take much. Just do it;) Btw, Henry Fields and Johnny's both carry 2 yo crowns. Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio State University Extension...See MoreHortico
Comments (80)Gosh! I guess I'll have to give Hortico one more shot to prove themselves, because if it weren't for Sheila and Diane championing them, I would NEVER order from them a second time, and I would recommend others to use high caution. Why? The quality of the plants I received was subpar. They were moldy, covered in brown slime. Easily the worst roses (or plants, period) that I have ever received via mail order. My "Crimson Glory" wasn't even #2 Grade so they sent me two. One had BORER damage received from them. One of them died. Even worse? It's not Crimson Glory at all! It's a very slightly scented rich flag red that doesn't blue as it ages and the petals don't even have the dignity to fall off when they started browning. I've reached out to them, sent the requested pictures, and I haven't heard back. That was months ago. I obviously need to reach back out, because they haven't gotten back with me, Of course, if what I received was what others would dare call "good quality" plants, I could never take their opinion very seriously. Yes, the plants ultimately survived the first season to at least grow, but that does not a quality plant make. Steven...See MoreAncho and Anaheim Germination Rates
Comments (1)If you did all seeds the same way, I'd say that was poor seeds-maybe old?...See MoreOP germination rates ?
Comments (55)what commercial supplier of heirloom seeds would you recommend? **** My experience is not as a customer b'c I think I've only purchased less than 30 packs of seed since maybe 1982, LOL, after I moved back East from teaching in Denver at the Med School, and back then, roughly before 1990 it was Seeds Blum and Gleckers and both are out of business, although I've been up close and personal with tomatoes since I was a kid back on the farm and I'll be 69 in June. Triple Sigh. But I've been posting online about tomatoes since 1989 and seen lots of feedback and I do know the owners of most of the more common seed sources. And most helpful was several years ago when here at GW I started Wrong varieties threads and there was a tremendous amount of feedback. And I continue to monitor these issues at the four places where I do read/post. There are several factors that go into choosing commercial sources and they include seeds that are true, seed age/viability, quality of information given about varieties, kinds of varieties offered, service, and seed prices, to name a few. it really does bother me when with any given variety when source A charges $2 for a pack of 30 while source B charges $4, all other factors being somewhat equal. And it really does bother me as well when some folks are attracted to a slick website and ignore what's really important as to all the variables I mentioned above. And no source selling OP varieties has a perfect record on seed purity just b'c of the nature of OP seed production. I also don't think it's critical that a site have pictures of varieties although it's fine if they do. With those caveats I'd suggest the following, somewhat in order: Tomatogrowers.com ( Linda Sapp) SandhillPreservation.com ( Glenn and Linda Drowns) Victoryseeds.com ( Mike Dunton) SSE Public catalog varieties ( seedsavers.org) (Aaron Whaley) Marianne Jones at Mariseeds.com Baker Creek, (rareseeds.com) ( Jere Gettle) Heirloom seeds ( in PA, heirloomseeds.com) ( Tom Hauch) And yes I do know all of the folks mentioned above and have interacted with all of them in one way or another, whether it's sending them varieties for trial or for some as fellow SSE members of yore, etc) And with those above there are close to a couple of thousand varieties available. If anyone wants to go beyond the more commonly offered varieties they should consider joining SSE, not just for requesting seeds from listed SSE members, and there's often a problem there in seed purity so folks should darn well know how to rogue out wrong plants and that comes solely from experience, from the Yearbook where about 4000 varieties are offered, but to help SSE with their mission of seed preservation in general. Lousy run on sentence but I'm sure you get my drift. ( smile) Every one of the above has had problems at one time or another with wrong varieties and/or low germinating seed, except for Sandhill where no seed sold is older than 2 years old, which to me is quite remarkable since Glenn lists about 400 varieties. And I should say that of late Totally Tomatoes has done a much better job but some wrong descriptions still bother me a lot. But they (Jungs) inherited blurbs from the previous owner Wayne Hilton and there are still lots of errors but it looks like most of the seeds are fine these days. I know Gary Ibsen at Tomatofest very well but I do have problems with seed prices there. Yes, I know he sells only organic seed but to me organicness is gained in how one GROWS the plants re edible fruits, not with organic seed per se which to me is more of a personal philosophy statement. Just my personal opinion. But to each his or her own. I'm hearing some good things about Skyfire seeds but don't know them as well. And for sure there are others but you asked me which ones I'd suggest to others as sources to maybe start with and right now I've listed those above. Finally, I've said it before and I'll say it again, each person should know the basic traits of every variety they sow seeds for BEFORE they sow the seeds. And that means plant habit, ind or det, leaf form, PL or RL, fruit color and size and shape. That's the ONLY way that a person will know if the variety they have is correct and it sure would stop a lot of wrong varieties from being traded, which happens quite a bit. Of course the possibility of cross pollination should also be recognized and there's an excellent FAQ on that here at GW, just click on the FAQ at the top of the page and scroll down. Carolyn, who has also decided to stay positive and NOT list the sources she would NOT recommend to others. Sigh....See More- 21 years ago
- 21 years ago
- 21 years ago
- 21 years ago
- 21 years ago
- 19 years ago
- 18 years ago
Related Stories

WORKING WITH PROSHow Much Does It Cost to Hire an Interior Designer?
Interior designers may charge hourly rates, flat fees, cost-plus or a combination. Here’s what that means for you
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow to Explain Price Increases to Clients
Labor, material and product costs have risen, and so have your rates. Get 4 pro tips for customers
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Install Energy-Efficient Windows
Learn what Energy Star ratings mean, what special license your contractor should have, whether permits are required and more
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESGardening for the Bees, and Why It’s a Good Thing
When you discover how hard bees work for our food supply, you may never garden without them in mind again
Full Story
DECORATING STYLESHotel to Home: 7 Design Ideas From the Portland Ace
Get inspired by a Portland hotel that eschews tradition by mixing styles, supporting local artists and letting character lead the way
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow to Stay Competitive in a Period of High Inflation
Discover selling tips and pricing strategies for attracting clients when costs are rising
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGLiving Roofs Put Down Roots
No longer solely the domain of hippies — or hobbits — a green roof can be a hardworking partner in making your house sustainable
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: A Master’s Design Goes Green and Universal
Adapting $500 house plans in Pittsburgh leads to planned Platinum LEED certification and better accessibility for one of the owners
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNConvert Your Tub Space to a Shower — the Fixtures-Shopping Phase
Step 2 in swapping your tub for a sleek new shower: Determine your mechanical needs and buy quality fixtures
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESTransition Time: How to Connect Tile and Hardwood Floors
Plan ahead to prevent unsightly or unsafe transitions between floor surfaces. Here's what you need to know
Full Story
aromix