SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nashvillebuild42

New ideas, would like your input on multigen home

NashvilleBuild42
10 years ago

Hello my fellow small home fans!

We decided the other plan may take too much to customize. And this sounds utterly insane given how much land we have, but were thinking of building a more modern shotgun home. There would be a screened porch off the back that would also connect to a garage that would then correct to the in law apt. Thus forming a L. Or perhaps I'd just connect the two houses by a huge dog trot/ covered porch with phantom screens and build garage separately. Any suggestions on that are welcome!The barn stable would actually provide another shelter around a very large court yard with pool. Outside of the courtyard would be all our land with converted trails etc

I'm attaching a rough sketch of the general building layout and outdoor space. I am then attaching a few inspiration pictures. I meet with an architect in 2 weeks. Should I abandon this idea before then? It seems easy to build, heat and cool. Easy to make energy efficient. Putting it over a basement provides some peace of mind if a tornado occurs even if we decide not build entirely ICF.

I know it's hard to see

A. Wrap around front porch
B. Living/dining/kitchen
C. Den/tv room walk in closet 3/4 bath
D. Screened patio
E. Study/library there is a closet could be a very small bedroom
F. Kids room
G. Master
2 bedrooms and laundry nook also upstairs

H- garage
I- in law apt
J- in law private courtyard
K- dog run
L- lap pool
M- covered patio and open patio

So my program didn't have chaise lounges therefore I placed sofas and turned them 90 degrees. I also think I'd have a large bench built into the brick wall hence the u shaped couch :). The blocky structures would be the 6 ft concrete panel fence or brick fence at the front and back but likely wood on the side.

So, thoughts?

Comments (12)