SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

Would like your input on SF bay area and environs

amysrq
14 years ago

Well, that Best Bread thread reminded me I should redeem my reserved sky miles tickets! Thanks! Looks like we are indeed headed to San Francisco for ten days in March.

We will be staying with friends in Mill Valley. We is me, DH and 15 y.o. DD. We like museums, natural wonders, spectacular scenery, a bit of window shopping, interesting food/farming experiences, good-but-cheap dining and getting a feeling for the essence of a place. We can walk all day but we are not really athletic.

Our friends work in the city during the week so we'll be on our own some days. Maybe with a car and maybe having just hitched a ride into the city. All three of us are often annoyed by some of the usual places considered "must-sees." I have a hunch that Alcatraz may fall into that category. Just as a baseline, we really dislike Mallory Square in Key West and DD just pronounced Mont St. Michel "overrated." OTOH, we loved the London Eye. Go figure...

We'd also like to go off for three or four days and drive either a north loop or a south loop. DH and I did the Willamette Valley last year and DD just got back from France (poor dear) so we are not all that interested in wineries.

I expect we'll stay in Hiltons using points, so I probably don't want hotel recs.

An initial scratch of the surface has me interested in the following things outside the immediate SF area:

Stanford and the Rodin sculptures (I'm a fan)

Steinbeck House in Salinas

San Juan Bautista (please tell me it isn't like Old Town in San Diego...)

Half Moon Bay and the PCH...including bread in Pescadero! :-)

Redwoods somewhere...multiple visits if possible

Yosemite...can we even contemplate dipping into this in a day+/- or an I insane?

Santa Cruz? I am a fan of old-time boardwalks...wondering if this is great or tacky or both.

Monterey and Carmel....but only to look. No eating, sleeping or shopping!

Hmmm...looks like I am headed south, doesn't it? Would I be better off going north for a few days instead? Is there anything I can do in one day from Mill Valley in that direction?

Just want to add that we are trying our best to do this on a budget. Free flights and lodging will get us a long way. We prefer a fabulous picnic over a mediocre meal for the same price. Don't want to miss any local specialties but we probably won't be eating at Chez Panisse or the French Laundry, IYKWIM.

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I would definitely visit the California Academy of Science in Golden Gate Park. It's been totally redone. I have a friend that went earlier this year with her DDs ages 20 and 15, and she said it was fabulous.
    I went to Alcatraz years ago, and it was interesting.
    Not sure if Yosemite is doable in your timeframe with everything else you want to do.
    If you go far enough south, Hearst Castle is amazing.

• sable_ca
    14 years ago

Goodness, that's quite a wish list.

I'd skip the Steinbeck House in Salinas in favor of more time in Monterey and Carmel. Steinbeck House is a pleasant place if you're a zealous Steinbeck fan, but it's the ONLY thing that makes Salinas a worthy destination. Salinas is a agricultural hub and looks like it.

San Juan Bautista is nothing like SD's Old Town (which I like a lot, BTW); it's another very small ag-town with some galleries and antique shops. The wonderful mission faces a large square where you can stand on the San Andreas Fault, and the old livery stable is interesting. If you're a fan of Hitchcock's Vertigo, you'll enjoy the place, although the church tower was an added special effect.

You should ask your friends about seeing Yosemite in a day + 1/2 - tough going, IMO, and the March weather could be fierce.

Santa Cruz - DH and I had our fill of SC long ago. The boardwalk is tacky and crowded; although if you are there on a sunny day in March it might not be so bad. Again, I can't imagine spending time in SC when one could be on the Monterey Peninsula.

I would skip Half Moon Bay - cute hippie-touristy, lots of homemade herbal soap IYKWIM - for Moss Landing, which is a tiny fishing town and is the real thing. Walk along the piers, look at the antique stores (they are real, not boutique-y), and eat at Phil's. Phil's is the best regarded seafood restaurant on the Central Coast, very informal, inexpensive, and delicious. Worth the trip. ML also has our own favorite - The Whole Enchilada, one of the best Mexican places anywhere. I attended a get-together with a group of Kitchen Table women there, but DH and I also love to take friends there.

The Mont-Car area has the Aquarium, stunning scenery, some unusual historic homes and churches (the Carmel Mission outdoes the one in SJB), more stunning scenery. You can stop the car and get out and stroll on the beach at many locations, and in March, there won't be crowds. You can dine at Mission Ranch, a completely charming and unique experience., inexpensive, just google it. Why no eating here? We have terrific eateries, and many are not at all expensive. Better bargains than in San Fran, IMO.

I don't think you have to take a car or hitch into San Fran. You should be able to take BART, the only public transportation system that makes sense in the state of California! In San Fran I would visit the Palace of the Legion of Honor, and North Beach. Again, ask your friends.

You can have a fantastic time altogether and never enter a store!

• Related Discussions

SF bay area: What bing-like cherry varieties are you growing?

Q

Comments (2)
    Cherries in the peninsula area are subject to the micro climates which determine how often your trees bear fruit. The California Rare Fruit Growers have a lot of local knowledge available on their website crfg.org. If you are growing for your own use you can grow varieties too soft for shipping. My favorite is Black Tartarian, in my opinion the sweetest cherry. Al
    ...See More

Vine recommendations for a house in SF Bay Area peninsula zone 9b

Q

Comments (2)
    I hit the wrong button above and hadn't finished writing. I see the title got clipped. It should say zone 9b. Anyway, I think I covered everything, except to mention that I also picked up Asarina erubescens (not one of our original picks, but it just looks very easy. I have not grown Asarinas before.
    ...See More

Dishwashers - trying to choose in SF Bay Area

Q

Comments (13)
    As far as water hardness, it depends where in the Bay area you live. If you are in San Francisco or south til about Palo Alto, your water mainly comes from Hetch Hetchy and is pretty pure and soft. If you're just south of there like me or beyond including San Jose and Silicon Valley, much of your water can come from groundwater sources and is pretty hard. I just put in a water softener last week - they seem uncommon for this area even though water can be fairly hard, but I learned about them visiting my parents in Las Vegas where the water is very hard. With zero hardness I may even try doing without rinse aid altogether. Our friends were admiring one family's brand new Miele from a just-completed kitchen remodel. One couple with a Bosch weren't happy with the (lack of) condensing drying on their plastics, and admired that the new Miele pops open the door automatically to help with the air drying. So amongst our friends, two happy Miele owners and one somewhat dissatisfied Bosch owner. For ourselves, unfortunately we had a top-end Maytag carried over from before our own remodel - it is a fairly mediocre performer but just refuses to die (even when it was left in the yard for a year during the remodel). I do hope it does die prematurely, admittedly it mostly works OK as long as I clean out the holes in the spray arms from accumulated gunk about once a year.
    ...See More

SF Bay area folks - anyone used sodaglassusa.com/Heavylux shower

Q

Comments (1)
    bump...
    ...See More
  • mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

To be sung to the tune of the Hallelujah Chorus:

"Heath Ceramics! Heath Ceramics! Heath Ceramics, Heath Ceramics, Heath Cer-r-a-mics!"

OH yeah...take a tour, spend time in the seconds room, get enough to send yourself a nice big package for some yet-to-imagine project :)

And the DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park (actually all of G.G. Park -- walking through the botanic gardens part)

• kfca37
    14 years ago

I totally disagree on Santa Cruz if you like old-time boardwalks. Not tacky at all. Great fun & nice beach. It's certainly NOT Disneyland---thank god. And they have a great carousel!! There's history there.

• amysrq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Terriks, the Academy looks pretty amazing. I want to read all about the green building. I agree with you that Yosemite may be a stretch. We have had satisfying experiences at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, as well as the Everglades, in a day or so. I could hang around in such places for many days, but I find my family's interest wanes sooner than mine. Maybe Yosemite should be done separately.

Sable, thanks for all the info. It's not a wish list so much as a list of things that got my attention. Things I need to sort through to figure out what we should plan to include. Thanks for your giant reply. That's just what I need.

As for why we don't plan to eat in Monterey or Carmel...I am only kind of half joking. My sense is that those towns are quite expensive. We most recently lived in Sarasota and have had our fill of upscale shopping and dining. I am not excited by La Jolla, for example. I mean, it is pretty, but just "more of the same" for me. Well, there are the seals. That is very exciting! We didn't have seals in Florida. ;-)

Your "Moss Landing over HMBay" advice is exactly what I am looking for. I currently live in a town with hippie soaps, so I get what you're saying. Best Mexican food anywhere...now that's a deal. And Mission Ranch looks good, too.

I was asking DH about using BART and he said he didn't think it would be possible. Glad to hear otherwise. We like to figure out public transport when we travel. I'll take a peek at their website before we go, of course.

Fly, I was trying to remember the name of your Mecca last night. Thanks for chiming in! I remembered the painful trip to the track meet, right? Oh no....I just peeked at the website....they have dishes. I am a certified dishaholic. I am in deep trouble. Will also check out the De Young...textiles and American Art look appealing.

Kfca, thanks for the thumbs up on the boards in Santa Cruz. We may end up staying there one night because of the Hilton points I am trying to use. It seems like a halfway point as we move down the coast. I can leave DH in the room with HBO and DD and I can go ride the ferris wheel. I have a thing for ferris wheels! Come to think of it, DD and DH always ride the carousel at our local country fair. So maybe he won't get to stay in and watch TV. ;-)

So, how about some trees... Can anyone tell me their favorite place to see the big old trees?

• emmatux
    14 years ago

If you are staying in Mill Valley trees can be found in abundance in Muir Woods, practically in your backyard! Your husband is right, BART doesn't go into Marin. :( Hitch a ride with your friends in the morning and you should be fine in the City with walking and public transportation. I second the visit to Monterey/Carmel area. While it can be touristy, it is beautiful. Sunset in Carmel is not to be missed IMO! Take the coast road from SF. In Marin, Pt. Reyes national sea shore, the road from Mill Valley to Stinson Beach and the Cheese Factory are great. Sausilito for relaxing and having a coffee is beautiful. Take jackets and sweatshirts, it will be cold in March.

• anotherlinda
    14 years ago

Yelp is your best friend to find great eateries and things to do in the SF Bay area.

Stanford University is beautiful; very relaxing to walk the campus and absorb the atmosphere - Rodin is an added bonus. http://museum.stanford.edu/view/rodin.html

Fantastic lunch spots in the Stanford area: Plutos or Sprout Cafe for the freshest salads/sandwiches, both on University Ave. Fraiche Yogurt on Emerson for a tart and tasty frozen yogurt and/or a steaming hot cup of awesome Blue Bottle coffee. Deep dish pizza at Patxi's, also on Emerson, is 'da bomb'. One medium pizza should satisfy the three of you. Yum!

Carmel is not to be missed! Great streets for strolling, and not so very expensive to eat if you choose wisely (use Yelp). I hope you will have use of a car and take the scenic "17 Mile Drive". Unforgettable views and lots of opportunities to stop the car and do a little exploring on the coast.

Santa Cruz is fun! As a SF Bay-er, I prefer the little beach community of Capitola just south of SC. Reminds me so much of So Cal Hermosa Beach circa 1960. Gayle's Bakery and Deli in Capitola is the place for eats.

Half Moon Bay is not too interesting. Yosemite in March is not a good idea due to inclement weather.

Linda

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

Amy, my daughter (17 YO) and I just took a girls' trip to San Francisco a few weeks ago and had a fabulous time! Like your family, we aren't into a lot of uber-tourist activities...since we are both Florida residents, or former residents, living near mouseworld, I can relate :).

Anyway, we did tour Alcatraz and I have to tell you, it was a highlight of my daughter's trip. She REALLY loved it. Keep in mind, the tour and island are all managed/run by the National Park Service. Other than a silly guy trying to take fake 'prison' pictures before you board, for sale to you later, the experience was interesting and thought provoking. I highly recommend it.

We went to Muir Woods on a Sunday, when you can take the ferry to Sausalito then a shuttle bus directly to the woods. They were beautiful, but to be honest the crowd was so heavy that the experience wasn't quite what we would have really loved. Still a nice outing.

We also visited the Beat Museum and that was another quirky but fascinating place. My daughter is a writer/reader and was very interested to learn something about that group of literary figures. And, a charming if intense young man working there took oodles of time to chat about the history, philosophy and legacies of all the beatniks. From there we went to Golden Gate Park and visited the Japanese Tea Garden. Lovely place and definitely on the non-honky-tonk side of the tourism spectrum. You can sit and have a pot of tea and snacks, then stroll the serene ground. We liked that a lot.

We intended to go to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art because they have exhibitions of both Richard Avedon and a combined Georgia O'Keefe/Ansel Adams show. I was kicking myself because I didn't think to check hours and the museum is closed on Wednesdays(?!) which was our last day there. But if you like art, I think that would be a must see as well.

Good luck, have fun. We found SF to be a lovely and fascinating city, with friendly people and super easy to use transportation. We did take BART from the airport to our hotel (the Palace-highly recommend it, historic, beautiful and great location). Then we used public transportation for getting around. Worked wonderfully.

Ann

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Great suggestions above........DD1 went to college in SF (FIDM and AAU) and now lives in Marin/North Bay. Since you'll be in Mill Valley - Great outdoor eating on the water in Tiburon is Sam's Anchor Cafe. DD1s favorite local place.

If you use the different public transportation a lot (BART, buses, trolleys, Metro trains and cable cars). Various passes/discounts. Worth it sometimes if you're in the city often:

http://www.bart.gov/tickets/plus.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Sams Cafe

• bestyears
    14 years ago

Golden Gate Park in SF on a Sunday -lots of fun people watching and the main boulevard is closed to cars. Rent some bikes nearby and have fun!

• jasonmi7
    14 years ago

If you like modern art, the SF Museum of Modern Art is a must see. And you have to eat at Sears.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention - don't forget an umbrella and wear layers!

• amysrq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, my house has been overrun with guests...sorry I let this slip to page two.

Emmatux, my DH has mentioned Muir Woods. We may have gone there together on the last trip, almost two decades ago. (It's strange how little I remember of that trip.) I will look for Stinson Beach and a cheese factory. We live in New England, so variable weather is something we're used to. And cold is a relative thing... :-)

Another Linda, I just discovered Yelp. It's pretty amazing. I have to dig a bit deeper and will do that with SF. Thanks for the tip on Capitola. That's just the kind of info I need And I will put your resto suggestions in my notes.

Ann, that trip sounds just divine. Lucky women, both of you! I am embarrassed to say I didn't know Alcatraz was an NPS site. That changes everything. We are Passholders and have never been anything but thrilled with our NPS experiences. I am glad your DD enjoyed it. We will try to watch Birdman before we go.

All your other suggestions are right up our alley, including the Beat Museum. DH was in Berkeley from 1959-64 and was inspired by that scene. DD read Kerouac this year. Perfect!

So sorry you missed the Avedon show. I was a big fan as a teenager and have not yet introduced him to my budding photographer/fashionista. We won't get to see the show, but I think I will get her a big coffee table book for her next b'day.

bestyears, jason, terriks...thanks for the additional tidbits. Renting bikes is a great idea, though the hills might be intimidating. We'll look for Sears (ring boloney and mac and cheese?!). Terri, we live to layer here! No problem.

Thanks again everyone! This will all go into my SF file.

• walkin_yesindeed
    14 years ago

When you're at Stanford, Amy, try to get a docent-led tour of the Rodin garden. THey're enthusiastic and well-informed, and they encourage you to touch the statues and to see them in new ways. Stanford itself is worth a quick wander: my favorites were always the colonnaded walkways and MemChu (aka Memorial Church).

THere are a lot of terrific and little-known day hikes down on the Peninsula -- not as dramatic or gorgeous as Muir Woods, but certainly lovely, and less traveled. A good hiking guide will take you there (see below: the Rancho San Antonio hike is very pretty). Or go to Muir Woods on a weekday.

The Mission District is very easy to wander, almost always sunny even when the rest of the city is fogged in, and has some beautiful murals, cool stores, great restaurants. For amazing and insanely cheap sushi, visit the "foglands" of the Richmond and Outer Richmond districts. Japantown and Chinatown are great, of course: go to restaurant supply houses for beautiful porcelain housewares (great souvenirs and presents).

Sigh. I miss it. But not the traffic! Plan around peak traffic times, or you'll spend too many hours cursing the fates on 101 and 280!

Here is a link that might be useful: mid-peninsula trails org.

• walkin_yesindeed
    14 years ago

some great websites for you, Amy!

Here is a link that might be useful: could do this right after the Rodin Garden

• walkin_yesindeed
    14 years ago

another gorgeous hike (honestly, they're pretty much everywhere):

Here is a link that might be useful: Portola redwoods

• amysrq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Walkin' Thank You!

I am struggling to get out the door to take DD to summer camp. I have no business being here on the board! :-)

I will look at all these links in depth when I get home. I appreciate all the info.

Touching a Rodin? All these years of resisting touching the artwork...

• postum
    14 years ago

The Rodin Garden is breathtaking. Nearby is Filoli, an enormous and beautiful house in the style of the English country homes. The rose gardens are incredible. It is one of my favorite places. Do check it out if you get a chance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Filoli