SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Dishwashers - trying to choose in SF Bay Area

homey_bird
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I know that this is a routine topic around here and I also have read through most current threads on this topic. They were very helpful and in general, in the high-end arena, Miele and Bosch seem to be the two favored dishwashers. So I am inviting the board members to share their opinions on those two, based on some criteria.

I live in SF Bay Area. Water is expensive, and our waste water goes directly in the bay. Therefore, water frugality and ability to work with a good Green dishwasher detergent is very very important. (I am currently using Seventh Generation detergent and am quite happy with it. )

I would love to know from Miela and Bosch owners which Green dishwashing soap they've tried and whether it worked.

Also, I assume all the models with pricing higher than $1200.00 are energy star rated -- but would love to hear stories if anyone has any (pro or against).

Most of my loads are glass, ceramic and stainless steel (mix). I use hardly any plastic (tupperware etc.) but it may change in future. So a separate China cycle, for example, is fairly useless to me. What has been your experience with such type of load?

Noise is an important factor, but the makes/models I am considering do seem to be really quiet. However, I'd love to hear if any caveats in this.

Reliability and longevity are important. I do not mind spending $$'s if that means less hassle later. But I do want to see the money buy reliability. I think most users here have had their dishwashers for under 10 years but how has that experience been and do you think it will go on for another 10?

Service - should be prompt and courteous. Not where a XXX rep will come and act as though the company "bestowed" their product on me. (This, because I heard a lot of complaints on certain brands and their service). Also, waiting for the right parts to arrive for two weeks ....er....will not work. Hand-washing for 2 weeks would kill me. However, service quality can be specific to a geography, thus I would appreciate some feedback on both Bosch and Miele in SF Bay Area.

Also, Bosch has a lot of models. Consumer Reports rated a $1500.00 model (Ascenta I think) as best. Any feedback regarding this specific model?

Lastly, any recommendations on Miele dealers in SF Bay - South Bay to Peninsula? I can go from San Jose to Redwood City. But do not want to go to San Francisco city looking for a dishwasher.

Thanks a bunch!

Comments (13)