SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

costume time! need silvery-white fabric

talley_sue_nyc
17 years ago

Wish me luck; I'm off to the fabric district! (38th to 41st sts, between 7th & 8th aves).

It seems the only sewing I do in recent years is the yearly Halloween costume. We get pretty elaborate.

This year DD wants to be an elf from Lord of the Rings--so she wants a white dress, w/ lacing in the center front and flowing sleeves. And it needs some sections of it sort of sparkly silver on the white.

Someone here at work suggested seeing if I can find somethign sparkly and sheer, and layer it over plain white, instead of trying to buy lamé.

And I wondered if I could use fabric glue and some sort of glitter to give it the same look? Maybe too iffy.

So I'm off for some fabric scouting, to see what I can get, and what it'll cost. Don't want to spend a ton, and the pattern I found needs about 8 yards total for 45" fabric for a girls size 16. (seems like a lot--but it is a full skirt, and floor length.)

W/ the flowy sleeves, etc., I'm thinking a knit would be nice.

She also needs a black cloak, but I think I have some leftover wool fabric (that the guy sold me for the wrong price, so I bought a ton!) from making the Hogwarts robe of a couple of years ago.

DS wants to be a pirate, and if I have brown velvet leftover from Hippolyta's cloak, I'm set for the tunic he's decided pirates wear. He's got hat, cutlass, pistol. I might need to make him a shirt w/flowier sleeves, but I sure hope not!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm